PDA

View Full Version : Removing Paint From French Doors

Manny Prince
06-15-2009, 2:46 PM
Hello Saw Mill Creek - this is my 1st post but I have enjoyed this forum for quite some time.

Moderators - if this post belongs somewhere else please move it.

I am refurbishing and refinishing a set of previously painted french doors. I am struggling to completely remove paint from trim pieces that frame each glass pane. I have been using a stripper, steel wool and elbow grease to achieve good results on the surface paint BUT there is paint (primer) that appears to be in the grain - not on the surface. Almost as if were a stain.

Are there any techniques or tips some of you experienced hands might have to help me with this? THANKS

Matt Tawes
06-15-2009, 3:02 PM
I'm not a professional stripper (that came out funny) but have done a bit of it and paint that is in the grain is next to impossible to get out if the chem. stripper is not disolving and lifting it enough. I'm guessing you plan to refinish with stain or clear thus needing all the paint gone?
I have heard of having success with soda blasting (baking soda) detailed small pieces to remove finisih from every nook and cranny but you'd have to ask someone who does it and skilled enough to not use too much pressure. Soda is very fine and auto body shops use it for detail stripping so as not to damage glass, rubber or plastic parts that are near the area being stripped.

Manny Prince
06-15-2009, 3:07 PM
Matt - thanks for the reply.

Yes, I plan to use a natural oak stain and poly. I did a quick test with the stain and the places where there was still some "paint in the grain' showed through the stain.

I your experience will sanding ultimately get it all out?

Is there a solvent based approach that allows the grain to release the paint?

Thanks gain.

Matt Tawes
06-15-2009, 3:46 PM
Hey Manny,

Most of the better (non green, enviromental friendly) strippers are solvent based but still only do so good a job on pulling the finish/paint off. Sanding will most likely get a great deal of the paint out. Worst case scenerio is those stubborn areas if very small you could tint some shellac to darken them (I'm talking if only like in the grain paint that is say 1/32-1/64th wide and just slivers of color) then when dry apply your stain/poly as usually.

Got any pics of how bad it is?

Manny Prince
06-15-2009, 4:06 PM
I dont have pics, it is is still a work in progress. I like the tinted shellac approach. should I tint it with stain, dye or paint?

Matt Tawes
06-15-2009, 4:17 PM
Experiment with transtint dye either mixed with water or alcohol by itself or tint the shellac with it. Essentially you're staining over it like a gel stain would but this enables you to get the color to match your stain and make any paint flecks less noticeable.

Phil Phelps
06-15-2009, 5:23 PM
Try a heat gun on stubborn areas.

Manny Prince
06-15-2009, 5:30 PM
thanks! i'll keep this in mind as i push forward