PDA

View Full Version : Maple finishing help!

Gene Collison
08-22-2004, 8:05 PM
I picked up a beautiful quilted maple board from my wood supplier, equisite, easily grade AAAA! I am going to use it for a box LOML has been asking for for awhile. The top will be bookmarked Wenge. I did some hand planing on the maple this afternoon and it really lit up. Anybody have any finishing suggestions for maximum chatoyance? I used Tried and True Original finish on another box with sucess but I am thinking maybe some dye or stain would bring out the figure even more, or possibly garnet shellac. Any of you guys have any suggestions? TIA......

Gene

Greg Heppeard
08-22-2004, 8:54 PM
I've mixed a few drops of blue dye in some General Finish Armour Seal, it really made the figure pop. You have to mess with the formula to get the best result for your particular wood.

Lee Schierer
08-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Personally I like how lacquer brings out the grain. Try Deft CLear Wood finish. It is easy to apply and looks like this: http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/snaktab1.jpg

It also tays that color for a long time.

Dennis Peacock
08-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Everyone will have their special way of doing this...but here is what I do:

Apply a 50/50 mix of BLO and MS
Let dry for 3 days (inside the house)
Apply 1-1/2 pound cut of shellac (blonde, dewaxed) via padding, may take several coats, but it will surely be "deep" and beautiful!!!!