PDA

View Full Version : Super Nova 2 and Cole jaws

John Frigillana
06-15-2009, 1:44 PM
:confused: Whats the maximum this pair opens up too? I have a jet 1220 and would like to get the jaws for reverse turning on my bowls that are sometimes 9 1/2- 10" diameter.:rolleyes:

Ralph Lindberg
06-15-2009, 2:57 PM
Check out Teknatool (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Jaw_Sets/downloads/Min-Max%20Ranges%20Jaw%20Table%20(inch)Sep06.pdf) jaw range chart

Please note the Titan range is larger, please also note that the SN2 has a smaller adjustment range then the Titan

In fact, with older Cole and SN2s (I don't know this is a current fact) the range of the SN2 is smaller then the spacing between pins. This means you can have a bowl diameter that you can't match, without modifing the pins

John Frigillana
06-15-2009, 4:05 PM
:confused: WHat I'm actually looking for is the diameter of the SN2 and jaws when fully opened up. Will it clear the bed or the 12"swing I have?:rolleyes:

Allen Neighbors
06-15-2009, 5:12 PM
Keoni, the Cole jaws I used to have would clear the bed on my 12" Old Griz. And what Ralph said about modifying the pins is correct.
I found several bowls that the jaws wouldn't work on... for example, a bowl that was too large to fit the pins when the jaws were shut, then, when I moved the pins to the next holes, the jaws wouldn't open enough.
Tim Geist said to bore out the holes (impressions on back) and tap them out and that would solve the problem.

EDIT: Guess I should add that the impressions on the back of the jaws are between the present holes. It would be very easy to do, but I built a couple of Longworth Chucks, and didn't need the Cole jaws anymore, so I gave them to my friend Joe, that I invited into the vortex.

Ralph Lindberg
06-15-2009, 5:57 PM
:confused: WHat I'm actually looking for is the diameter of the SN2 and jaws when fully opened up. Will it clear the bed or the 12"swing I have?:rolleyes:

Since mine are on my Titan chuck, I can't answer that

Ryan Baker
06-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I just measured mine. The maximum outer diameter with the jaws fully open is 10-11/16" (270mm) (large Cole Jaws on the SN2). You shouldn't have any trouble using them on a 12" swing lathe.

Brian McInturff
06-15-2009, 10:36 PM
For anyone interested I just saw where Highland Woodworking is giving away a set of Cole Jaws when you purchase the SN2.

Not affiliated with Highland woodworking, just passing on what I read in their newsletter.