PDA

View Full Version : Irish Marble

Stephen Kane
06-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Rather than work with imported black marble I decided to try out some native Irish black Marble - Kilkenny Black marble.
The results (to my eye) compare very favourably with other marble engraving I have seen. However I am not an expert, and look forward to feedback. Kilkenny Black Marble is characterised by shell fossils, an examples of which are in the image of the couple.

Stephen Kane

Tom Cullen
06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi Stephen ,
Looks great, although ( and this is a personal choice ) I would still use the imported black marble for portrait images. Some people can be very fussy about what shows on their faces and with the fossils in the marble you may get some large particles. On the other hand you could use that to your advantage , say if you did engravings of dinosaurs or fish and the like on tiles, the added fossils might add something unique.

Tom
originally from the Auld sod.

Stephen Kane
06-15-2009, 1:06 PM
Hi Tom

Thanks for that idea. Point taken re fossils. (Un)fortunately still in the auld sod. Maybe I can engrave some of them sods!

Stephen

Stuart Orrell
06-15-2009, 1:08 PM
Hi Stephen,

Looks like there could be some interesting options with this material containing the fossils. Are there any suppliers that you could recommend? I would like to try a few things out with it. I'm thinking of individual art pieces that may be designed around each tile or perhaps for awards.

Thanks,
Stuart

Stephen Kane
06-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi Stuart

We get it quarried and polished. Sizes available at present are 150 x 100mm x20mm and 100mm x 100mm x20mm

PM me with details of your requirements and I will get quote off to you.

Stephen

Tom Cullen
06-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Stephen,
I just had a look at your home page, where do you get the slate maps of Ireland? I think they look great. Is that something you do , I mean do you buy the slate and then cut out the map? what would be the cost of buying blank maps and how many in a box?

keep up the great work.
Tom

Stephen Kane
06-16-2009, 2:11 PM
Tom

Yes we cut the maps from slate. I use four sizes. Currently busy doing some for fathers day. I will get some more images off to you if you send me your email address. I am flexible on quantities i.e. I will sell from 1 upwards. Obviously main issue is freight. Let me know your location and I will get quotation.

Stephen