PDA

View Full Version : Progressing Along the Way

Boyd Gathwright
08-22-2004, 4:12 PM
Progressing Along the Way

Ref: What I Bought at the Auction #3
Ref: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11287 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11287)
<O:p</O:p

…Assembly is moving along at a moderate pace. Things never go quite as fast as you think they should. Included are progress pics with commentary.

Picture #

1. Cutting (Grinding) approximately two (2) inches off the twelve (12) foot towers so they would fit a twelve (12) foot ceiling, Five (5) in all so far.

2. Red Devil half inch by three and three quarter inch (1/2”) X (3 ¾”) wedge anchor bolts, Two (2) per each tower used.

3. Decking, it takes thirty (30) two by four’s (2 X4’s) to complete approximately one (1) eight and a half (8 ½) foot shelf.

4. This is the “Loft” area for all the long lumber that is kept on hand. It’s approximately seventeen (17) to eighteen (18) feet long. Here I am going to space out the (decking) two by four’s (2X4’s) approximately every foot.

5. We are doing our best to load the shelves as we go. This accomplishes getting the “stuff” off the floor and making room so we can continue to work without having any safety issues.

That’s all for now.

Boyd :)

Steve Clardy
08-22-2004, 8:18 PM
Now that's what I call max storage space. Looking good Boyd.
I use the same type of pallet racks for my lumber. I got a bunch of damaged ones. Used the good main ones for the uprights, cut the damaged ones into 8' lengths, welded on L's, then bolted them to the long 12' main supports like your. So mine ended up being 12' deep, 8' wide, four layers high, then 3 more were 8' deep, 8' wide, four layes high. Sure can pack a bunch of wood on them.
Steve

Steve Clardy
08-23-2004, 6:12 PM
Well. Heres mine. They are FULL and so are hard to see.:o I pull lumber from the open ends. No paint, not as pretty as yours.:(

BTW. How do you like the foil backed insulation in the top of your garage?
Thickness? Insulation above it too?
I need to put a ceiling in my shop one of these days. I have 1 1/2" styrofoam between the ceiling trusses, next to the tin.
STeve

Lloyd Frisbee
08-23-2004, 6:41 PM
Looks like Boyd is building a BORG with all that orange. :D

Kelly C. Hanna
08-23-2004, 8:48 PM
Very nice Boyd! I like the steel storage...very strong and lasts a lifetime.

Boyd Gathwright
08-23-2004, 10:45 PM
…. Now I know what you mean about hard to see. I was hoping to get a look at how you handled the welding of those “L” brackets on and possibly a profile shot of the whole unit. Don’t worry about the paint job it’s the functionality that counts. <O:p</O:p

…. I don’t know just what the thickness of the foil backed insulation is, if I had to guess I would say somewhere around one (1) to an inch and a half (1 ½”). There is insulation between the joists; I would say a high “R” value, above the foil-backed ceiling insulation and nothing between the tin roof and the trusses. Does a nice job in the wintertime. I have the thermostat set on fifty-five (55), you really do not want it set much high in a working environment than that, and I’ll turn it on and it will run for about five (5) to eight (8) minutes and that’s enough to overcome the chill. If it is extremely cold, I may let it cycle two (2) or three (3) times until the surroundings lose their chill and that’s all it takes for a couple of hours. I use a large propane ceiling mounted heater, pic included, and it makes short work of bringing up to temperature in a hurry. In the summertime, you Do Not need air conditioning until you open the large doors in my case and even then it ‘s not bad at all.

Hope this helps

Boyd ;)

Well. Heres mine. They are FULL and so are hard to see.:o I pull lumber from the open ends. No paint, not as pretty as yours.:(

BTW. How do you like the foil backed insulation in the top of your garage?
Thickness? Insulation above it too?
I need to put a ceiling in my shop one of these days. I have 1 1/2" styrofoam between the ceiling trusses, next to the tin.
STeve

Boyd Gathwright
08-24-2004, 9:53 PM
…. Hi Kelly, thanks for the comments. Yes, steel is strong. I couldn’t come up with anything better for storage that is all but transparent and gives me adequate shop space and convenience. As you have suggested, once it’s up, it’s up for life. Thanks again for the comments.

…. Lloyd, I didn’t plan it that way but you are right except this burg has it’s own protective walls on the outside while safeguarding the castle within. :D

Looks like Boyd is building a BORG with all that orange. :D

Very nice Boyd! I like the steel storage...very strong and lasts a lifetime.

Steve Clardy
08-24-2004, 10:01 PM
So how's your light situation in there with that foil backed ceiling?
Somewhere I think I seen some of that somewhere that was white on one side.

Steve:)

Boyd Gathwright
08-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Lights are OK, Ref. the one in the pic. :)

So how's your light situation in there with that foil backed ceiling?
Somewhere I think I seen some of that somewhere that was white on one side.

Steve:)

Steve Clardy
08-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Lights are OK, Ref. the one in the pic. :)
Ok. Cool. That's what I thought by the pic, but you might have also had some MEGA flash on your digital.:)

Boyd Gathwright
08-24-2004, 11:14 PM
....No mega flash, but I do use FILL Flash most of the time. I find it gives a much better and more defined picture.

Boyd :cool:

Ok. Cool. That's what I thought by the pic, but you might have also had some MEGA flash on your digital.:)

Steve Clardy
08-24-2004, 11:23 PM
....No mega flash, but I do use FILL Flash most of the time. I find it gives a much better and more defined picture.

Boyd :cool:

OK. Now--:confused:
Explain this FILL flash. I am no photo man.:o

Steve [in the dark on this FILL thing] lol

Boyd Gathwright
08-24-2004, 11:33 PM
....A brief description would be: It removes the shadows from the image and highlights the picture. Most camers have a “fill flash” mode.

Hope this helps

Boyd :)

OK. Now--:confused:
Explain this FILL flash. I am no photo man.:o

Steve [in the dark on this FILL thing] lol