PDA

View Full Version : platter/shallow bowl

Graham Sugar
06-15-2009, 4:40 AM
Hi all
I haven't had much to show of late,... but I finished this Burl Platter/Shallow bowl on the weekend The Burl was sold to me as a Red Mallee Burl but I think it is a Red Gum Burl still a nice bit of wood to work with
There was a few shakey moments until it came in to some sort of balance at the moment it has had 4 coats of danish oil rubbed in with 1200 wet & dry then wiped with a clean cotton cloth I am not sure of where to go from here I want to keep the natural oiled feel but would like to get a little more sheen/shine on the timber and am thinking of a few coats of BLO or pure Parrafin oil
Any comments would be welcome
The pics were taken about 30 mins after the last coat of danish oil so it still looks to have a shine but this will dry rather rapidly

alex carey
06-15-2009, 6:16 AM
WOW, that is some intense wood, very cool. Love the colors and the inclusions.

Maria Alvarado
06-15-2009, 7:56 AM
Hi Graham,
I bet that was some exciting turning, I like the piece. I think you are right about it not being mallee. For your finish I think the BLO option would be better than the parrafin oil, followed by wax for a more natural feel and sheen.

Graham Sugar
06-15-2009, 8:44 AM
Thanks Maria & alex
I am not sure about the wax.... there are a lot of small voids and the wax may just clog up It would be a bit hard to pick it out I am leaning towards the BLO but I may just give it a few more coats of Danish
Regards
Graham

Steve Schlumpf
06-15-2009, 8:58 AM
Graham - love all the color! Pretty cool piece with all the voids - really grabs the attention! Good luck getting the finish you are after! If it were me - I would stick with the Danish until you get the build and luster you are after! Nice work - thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2009, 9:24 AM
Graham that is some pretty wood and a good looking piece. I am not sure I would put BLO over danish oil. I am thinking you might have a sticky mess and parrafin oil I don't think would do much better. I don't think either would dry well over DO. I would like Steve said stick with a couple more coats of danish oil and let it dry good.

Jeff Nicol
06-15-2009, 9:38 AM
Grahm, Definitly has a lot going on in the burl! Nice color and those types of burl turnings leaving the natural shape of it are always cool! I wish I had a truck load of Australian burls to play with but I would have to sell the house to get them!!

Keep sharing,

Jeff

Bill Bolen
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
I sure agree with sticking with the DO. Built up 4 or more coats, let dry well and buff. Gosh you folks "down under" sure have some pretty burls local to you. I'm jealous..Bill...

Ryan Baker
06-15-2009, 9:33 PM
Wow, that looks great. Definitely got some "pucker factor" in turning that. Beautiful piece of wood. I just received some burl from "down under" that should be quite stunning when it's done.

I agree to build up a few more coats of the DO and get a nice sheen on it.

Brian McInturff
06-15-2009, 9:59 PM
With Danish oil you will always have a Satin sheen, no matter how many coats you apply. To increase the lustre you could go with either carnuba wax and buff or go with a shellac and either french polish it or then apply a waterlox or other poly type varnish. If the high lustre is what your after then I would go the French Polish route. A beautiful piece by the way and you presented it very well. Please post pics when you get the finish worked out, she's going to be a real beauty!!

Mark Norman
06-15-2009, 10:41 PM
That piece sure is busy. Of course nature did all the hard work in that regard;)
I love the rose color in the wood. Good job keeping it in one piece Graham.