PDA

View Full Version : Jet bandsaw JWBS-18, 1.5 HP, good buy?

Josh Brouse
06-15-2009, 1:29 AM
well craigslist ad:

Model JWBS-18, 1.5 HP, single phase 115 v. Great condition and comes w/ several blades. $600http://images.craigslist.org/3n43m03p4ZZZZZZZZZ96dacf61b172d891667.jpg

I talked to the guy and he stated that he's the second owner.
and that's pretty much all I have.

What do you all think? Would you buy it and/or what else should I be asking?

Thanks for any info/advice.

Mark Norman
06-15-2009, 1:35 AM
I saw the add and would be interested if I hadn't purchased one already.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/1220400395.html

Lawrence Nitz
06-15-2009, 3:47 AM
I have that model jet. While trying to resaw hardwoods, I burned out the original motor, and drew smoke from the replacement. Jet would not replace that one. I substituted a 3 HP 1800 RPM Baldor for $402 in hard earned money. If you resaw with this tool, anticipate that you may have to replace the motor with one large enough for the job.

Bob Genovesi
06-15-2009, 12:38 PM
I have that model jet. While trying to resaw hardwoods, I burned out the original motor, and drew smoke from the replacement. Jet would not replace that one. I substituted a 3 HP 1800 RPM Baldor for $402 in hard earned money. If you resaw with this tool, anticipate that you may have to replace the motor with one large enough for the job.

While I haven't burned out a motor yet 1.5HP is marginal at best. I ought to know, I have this saw as well.

I have to say I do like the saw but it does have its limitations but then again so does every other tool out there. Would I buy it again, probably..

Dave Lehnert
06-15-2009, 6:05 PM
The older style JET bandsaws (the one in the pic is) got bad reviews with flexing of the frames. You may have noticed JET had come out with a new model with a much stronger triangle spine in response to the flexing issue.

$600 is a good price for that saw, but since it has had two owners, they may have experienced flexing like other owners?????????

Bob Genovesi
06-15-2009, 7:15 PM
The older style JET bandsaws (the one in the pic is) got bad reviews with flexing of the frames. You may have noticed JET had come out with a new model with a much stronger triangle spine in response to the flexing issue.

$600 is a good price for that saw, but since it has had two owners, they may have experienced flexing like other owners?????????

Not to argue the point and I do think the frame "could" flex but under what condition, what amount of force, and could the user duplicate the force needed under normal use? I do feel under the right conditions in a special jig and using hydraulics you could generate enough force to flex the frame.

If I had to be critical of one particular area on this saw it would be the 1.5hp motor. But as an owner and user I found this saw to be pretty decent for the price. I would not be afraid to by it al all for $600 but I'd thoroughly check it out to see if anything else may be going on.

Dave Lehnert
06-15-2009, 9:45 PM
Not to argue the point and I do think the frame "could" flex but under what condition, what amount of force, and could the user duplicate the force needed under normal use? I do feel under the right conditions in a special jig and using hydraulics you could generate enough force to flex the frame.

If I had to be critical of one particular area on this saw it would be the 1.5hp motor. But as an owner and user I found this saw to be pretty decent for the price. I would not be afraid to by it al all for $600 but I'd thoroughly check it out to see if anything else may be going on.

I do not have first hand knowledge of the flexing problem but has been documented in woodworking magazines reviews in years past. JET's new triangle spine was in a response to the flex issue.

Mike OMelia
06-16-2009, 12:22 AM

Like Lawrence said, for resaw, 1.75 is too small. And if you are patient, you should be able to pick up the 3hp version for similar $$.

Mike

Bob Genovesi
06-16-2009, 7:44 AM
I do not have first hand knowledge of the flexing problem but has been documented in woodworking magazines reviews in years past. JET's new triangle spine was in a response to the flex issue.

Dave,

It's like I said; I too do believe the saws frame can flex but under what conditions?

Some testers put a product through its paces but at what limit do these tests become meaningless. I, like you, remember hearing this but as I stated I own the saw and use it regularly for re-sawing, here's a photo of one such cut.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Resaw01.jpg

This log is 9 inches in diameter and the only limitation I saw, no pun intended, was the 1.5hp motor.

Here's a review.

The WMH Tool Group recently unveiled its redesigned 18-in. Jet bandsaw with a 12-in. re-saw capacity. The saw has many significant improvements over the previous 18-in. model (JWBS-18).

A much stiffer frame and a beefier upper guide-post mount result in lower flex numbers. The lower blade guides have been redesigned to make adjustments easier and more accurate. All adjustments are toolless except for the thumbscrew that secures the thrust bearing, which requires pliers to tighten it sufficiently. Table flex has been improved through the use of heavier trunnions. The table locks in position more positively with large knobs.

Jet has increased the power to 1-3/4 hp, compared to 1-1/2 hp for the previous model. With a maximum blade-width capacity of 1-1/2 in., the power is welcome. A window in the upper wheel housing allows you to adjust blade tracking with the machine on and cover door closed.

Don't quote me on this but I believe the re-saw capacity for the older model like mine is 10 inches so they've opened up the gap 2 additional inches which is substantial and could drive some of the improvements in itself.

Do I believe the newer triangle frame is more robust? Absolutely!
Do I think it needs a stronger motor? Absolutely but a minimum of 2hp!
Do I think the heavier trunnions are a good idea? I sure do!

But just how strong does it need to be for woodworking?

The Jet saw is not a heavy duty saw by any stretch of the imagination but for $600, providing it's in good shape should provide years of service.