PDA

View Full Version : Radon Mitigation

Wes Bischel
08-22-2004, 2:47 PM
Not sure if anyone else has had to deal with radon in their basement, but I was wondering how much it costs to put in a sub slab depressurization system? This is the system that uses a 4" PVC pipe stack that starts under the slab (cored through the floor) and vents to the outside with a fan mounted inline.
Most of the houses in our neighborhood have had a system installed prior to being sold as a contingency to the sale. I figure if I'm going to spend the money at some point, I might as well enjoy the benefit. The reason it comes up now is I would like to finish part of the basement for a play room for my 2 year old (just outside of the shop which is in the process of being Sammy proofed now) :D

If anyone has any information or experience, I would be grateful. I've already been to the EPA, radongas, and NEHA sites and learned a lot of basics, but not the realities of the system.

Thanks, Wes

Jim Becker
08-22-2004, 4:03 PM
Wes, the first thing to do is have the space tested for Radon...you may or may not need mitigation, and if you do, the test readings may be needed to figure out what needs to be done. I've been fortunate that both this house and my previous didn't need Radon to be dealt with...interesting, considering my immediate next door neightbor in the previous neighborhood had to do a "big time" Radon system.

Ken Garlock
08-22-2004, 5:03 PM
Wes, there was a good discussion on Radon mitigation over at wood central just a week ago. Just search on radon.....

Wes Bischel
08-22-2004, 8:06 PM
Ken,

Thanks for the tip - a whole bunch of PA people there - gee what a surprise. ;)

Jim,

Yeah, we tested short term and came up with 16pCi/L (4pCi/L is the point where they say one should mitigate). I plan on doing another short term test when things cool down to make sure the level is fairly constant. Also, every house near us that has sold in the past few years has had a "Fantech pimple" show up on the side of the house before the sale closed. So I'm pretty sure we'll need something.

I reviewed the EPA drawings for mitigating under the slab, and other than drilling (core) the floor and wall (masonry home) the installation should be fairly simple. The big "but" is does the installation need to be certified? Oh, and do I need another project. :(

Wes

Tom Sweeney
08-23-2004, 9:46 PM
Yup we're good for high radon readings in various geographic pockets around here. I was a realtor when the whole radon thing became a hot potato -big fun. When it first started the mitigation costs were $5,000 - $10,000. Within probably a year they were down to I think the $1,200 range(ya think there was some price gouging going on?) - this was in probably the mid 90's (man is my memory going bad :eek: ) I wouldn't doubt that it's a bit less now(maybe 7 -800) - like you said it's not real complicated. I don't think I would do the install myself though. If you did decide to sell the house & the buyers knew you did the install they might feel uneasy about it. Trust me you don't want buyers feeling uneasy about anything.

BTW - maybe opt for the long term testing for your second go round - it's been a while but I think that is considered the better way to test.

Good luck!

Wes Bischel
08-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the info. I guess it's just the cheap-skate in me that hates to pay $700 for a $140 fan and some PVC pipe. :rolleyes: Yeah, I know there is a good amount of labor involved, but I guess we're really paying for the certification (read liability).
The long term test would be a good thing to do. I was hoping to get the system installed this fall so I could put the playroom together during the winter. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and call a few people in for quotes etc.
Any things I should look for in a radon contractor?
Thanks again,
Wes

Tom Sweeney
08-24-2004, 11:10 AM
nothing specific - just the usual:
Insurance, experience, references, etc. You might want to contact LCAR (realtor association) to see if any of their affiliate members are Radon remdiators - http://www.lcaronline.com . Being an affiliate member of the Association doesn't really give you any added protection - but most of the people that chose to be members are usually legit. Also there are probably radon contractor specific associations - usually these types of association do have code of ethics & mediation processes so you could contact the association to see if there are any members in your area. Here's a link to a google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=radon+association

Here's a link to some info from the Gov't - your tax $$$ at work - that might be helpful.

http://www.firstgov.gov/fgsearch/index.jsp?mw0=radon&rn=10286&in0=domain&dom0=www.pueblo.gsa.gov&parsed=true&x=27&y=4

Good Luck.