PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on left bladed circular saws?

Brian Penning
06-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Likes? Dislikes?
Thanks in advance.

Been looking at the Bosch CS5.

Eiji Fuller
06-14-2009, 11:10 PM
The cut line is more visible but they can be tippy as most of the saw is on the waste side of the cut if you are right handed. I like to have one of each so I can bevel both ways. Nice to have both when you are cutting mitered stair carriages.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Being righthanded, I enjoy being able to see that cutline.

glenn bradley
06-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Like Eiji, I like the visibility of them. I have both. I try to start the cut (when it is a through cut) to keep the motor body over the supported portion of the material. Not always possible on non through cuts so, tippy it is ;-)

P.s. Check out Eiji's work. Beautiful stuff man.

Dino Makropoulos
06-14-2009, 11:34 PM
The cut line is more visible but they can be tippy as most of the saw is on the waste side of the cut if you are right handed. I like to have one of each so I can bevel both ways. Nice to have both when you are cutting mitered stair carriages.

Good answer Eiji.
2. The dust port directs the dust in your face.
3. The blade is closer to your body parts.
4. Your measurements are off.
( You have to account for the blade kerf on the cross cuts)
5. You can't use a speed square...
and few more sefety and ergonomic problems.

Cool to use if you know how to and not available or allowable in many countries. The Canadian Osha is very clear about that.
The Lowes posted a warning for few weeks.

On the other hand, Left bladed saw are better for some applications.
For regular work, if you're right handed, go for a right bladed saw.

Good luck.

Norman Pyles
06-14-2009, 11:59 PM
I like the blade on the right. Learned to use the right bladed type 40 years ago, and the left blade just seems awkward. Of course I'm old and set in my ways too.

phil harold
06-15-2009, 7:36 AM
Nice to have both when you are cutting mitered stair carriages.

I have both for that reason and more
the blade on the left is easeir for right handers you can see what you are cutting without twisting your body in all sorts of positions to actually see where the blade is cutting.
I was teethed on worm drives but mostly use a sidewinder

Curt Harms
06-15-2009, 8:11 AM
using a non-eze nonFestool guides e.g. run the sole plate along a guide. I bought one when SWMBO volunteered me to trim a bunch of doors. I clamped a guide 3 9/16" in from the intended cut line, put the larger portion of the sole plate on the door and cut away. I was able to cut from right to left and the saw was not tippy. I prefer the right handed blade for typical crosscutting.

Matthew Hills
06-15-2009, 10:47 AM
And don't forget the critical one: most saw blades are printed for right-side saws. Don't install a blade with the printing facing out on a left-side saw. (DAMHIKT)

Matt

David G Baker
06-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I have the very heavy Skil worm drive and love it. It gives me a work out if I have to keep lifting it but once you get it set it will hold the line. I love being able to see the line as I am sawing. I use both left and right hand saws but will use the Skil in most cases.
Pay attention to what Matthew H wrote, you can ask me and I will tell you that I have mounted the blade with the printing mounted out. :D Works great if you are using a plywood blade and cutting metal siding or roofing. :D

Kyle Iwamoto
06-15-2009, 12:01 PM
My preference is the left handed saw, being right handed. All of the above I'll agree with, except I use my speed square with the wormdrive. I can't why you can't use a speed square. I do have a regular right handed saw too. You do use safety glasses so dust in the face is not a problem. Annoying, yes. Seeing that cut line outweighs all the other problems.

Do they even make a right handed wormdrive?

Frank Hagan
06-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Dino's right about the chips flying in your face, and it can be tippy if you don't have the ability to change the direction of cut. I have a PC left-hand saw, and I do like the better visibility. But I'm thinking of getting a right handed one soon so I'll have both, and be able to use the right one for the right purpose.

Brad Wood
06-15-2009, 3:13 PM
I've had the same Skil worm drive (left sided blade) for nearly 25 years. It is the only one I have ever had, so I know nothing different.

I find with most cutting, I can keep the saw on the non waste side. Of course if you are free handing a 2x4 and holding the stick with your left hand, the saw will always be on the waste... but for me that is rare

Bruce Wrenn
06-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Standing on a top plate, two stories up, cutting tails off rafters, nothing beats a Skill 77, IMHO. For everything other than framing, I use a B&D Super Saw Cat, which has blade on the right.

Michael Prisbylla
06-17-2009, 9:29 PM
I LOVE my left blade Milwaukee (I'm a righty) You can use a speed square, too. I use mine most every day; I'm a carpenter by trade.

Jim Kountz
06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I have and use both, and you most certainly can use a speed square with both, I do it all the time. I dont see why someone would say that cant be done??
I have so many dang saws in my tool trailer now I cant remember them all but the ones I use most are my old worm drive, a deWalt righty and a Porter cable lefty.

Vinny Miseo
06-18-2009, 11:42 AM
As a lefty, I have grown up using right blade saws with my arms twisted, so now it is normal to me now. I think it would be strange for me to use a left handed saw "correctly". The only issues that I had was sawdust in my face. Now that I have a TS55, I don't have that issue. I can go on using my saw with my left hand and have nothing to worry about.

Other than being able to bevel in the opposite direction, I dont really understand what the added benefit would be.

Jacob Reverb
06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm right handed and like to be able to see the blade and line without leaning over.

I like the Skil 77 for that reason, as well as because it's a BEAST. Pretty tough to bog one down.

Ray Frederick
06-22-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. I've been spending an excessive amount of time seaching for the perfect skil saw recently, you'd think I was buying a house or something. I'm considering the Skill 77 mag, the DeWalt 7 1/4", and the Craftsman Hypoid saw.

I'm a carpenter and I use a skil saw in the field constantly every day for everything from framing to finish work, I've been using sidewinders for my entire career and have bought an older wormdrive for $20 to try out and am struggling with it. As an added note, this is an older (blue label) Skil all metal wormdrive that weighs maybe 20 pounds.

For those of you who mention being able to see the line better, I'm curious when you are using a speed square with it do you hold the square with your left hand and saw with your right? And in this event isn't the motor on the cutoff piece then? I woud think the weight of the wormdrive would make this somewhat unpleasant. As for cutting plywood and 2x stock freehand so far the weight of the saw seems to hamper following the line. And lastly, how does the wormdrive work for you guys with shooting boards or against a edge? Does it stay hard against the board well?

I have a Festool saw but I find it single-purpose that it rarely makes it out into the field, even when we are cutting expensive veneer plywood wall panels or solid surface I usually use my everyday skil saw with a shooting board. Maybe I'm asking too much for a saw that does it all, I've been very happy with my made in the USA Skil 7 1/4" sidewinder saw for 3 years with nice adjustments and plenty of power/low weight, it's just the danged stamped base keeps getting bent.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Good answer Eiji.
2. The dust port directs the dust in your face.
3. The blade is closer to your body parts.
4. Your measurements are off.
( You have to account for the blade kerf on the cross cuts)
5. You can't use a speed square...
and few more sefety and ergonomic problems.

Cool to use if you know how to and not available or allowable in many countries. The Canadian Osha is very clear about that.
The Lowes posted a warning for few weeks.

On the other hand, Left bladed saw are better for some applications.
For regular work, if you're right handed, go for a right bladed saw.

Good luck.

Gotta disagree with there Dino....but I'll keep your numbering system for clarity...:)

2. The quintessential left blader is the PC...no dust port facing the operator and the one it has is adjustable and defeatable.

3. HUH? This one cracked me up...you'll have to demonstrate!

4. This is not rocket science. Most all woodworkers know how to compensate for this one.

5. Poppycock...I use a speed square all the time.

I say use what you are comfortable with. I prefer the left blade because of the cutline. As far as I am concerned there are no more safety issues with one side of the blade or the other. I am surprised the left blades haven't taken over the market, but that's because I prefer them.

I can't imagine anyone not wanting a clear view of the cutline without being a contortionist, but hey, to each his own.

Jason Roehl
06-22-2009, 7:22 AM
Kelly covered my list of disagreements with Dino pretty well.

I understand what Dino's saying about the blade being closer to body parts, but I'll still disagree. Here's why. I'm right-handed. With a right-blade saw, I would be hunched over the saw and uncomfortable to see the line, ending up much closer to the saw. With a left-blade (I have a Skil 77), I can stand upright and still see the line and blade, basically keeping the saw almost at arm's length. I also usually use a speed-square with my 77.

I will say that I probably get more chips and sawdust on me with the left-blade, but that's half the fun of woodworking! :D

Shawn Pixley
06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
I use a Makita worm drive. For every thing except freehanding a 2X4, I think it is superior. If you add tracking stability (worm Drive vs Sidewinder), I choose the left.

Jason White
06-22-2009, 3:02 PM
I'm left-handed and resisted getting a worm drive for a long time because I didn't like the idea of having to cut with my right hand (so I can see the cut line).

Since then, I've forced myself to get over it and have never looked back! I use my Bosch worm drive all the time with either hand and absolutely love it!

Jason

Likes? Dislikes?
Thanks in advance.

Been looking at the Bosch CS5.