PDA

View Full Version : I need some help,

harry strasil
06-14-2009, 9:49 PM
I need to make barrister book case doors for a bookcase, lots of them and am wondering how to make the slides, I can't afford the fancy factory slides because there are so many, approx 24 doors. Anybody ever make their own.

Jim Rimmer
06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
I found some plans on the Popular Woodworking site for barrister bookcases that used a groove and a brass rod IIRC. The plan is on my work pc so I'll try to post it to the thread tomorrow.

Jim Rimmer
06-15-2009, 9:30 AM
Maybe this will help. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/simple_barrister_bookcases/

I couldn't post the file because it's too big but if you follow this link maybe it will help. They use a routed groove and brass pins.

God luck.

Richard Dooling
06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
This is a simple method that a set of book cases I had in college used. It’s just a right angle hook at the top corners of the door and a wire track. The track is just stiff wire with right angles at the ends. These ends are pressed into holes in the sides. It has been a while but I think the track extended out about ½”. This gives some meat at the corners of the door where the hooks are mounted. I don't exactly remember but I imagine the top edge of the door had a bit of a radius.

I think the solution Jim sent in is nicer but I think this is interesting in its simplicity.

harry strasil
06-15-2009, 1:14 PM
Thanks Richard, that is just the kind of simplicity I had in mind, and I have lots of 1/8 Stainless Steel Tig rod at the Shop that I can use for the slides. My plan is to use that prepared shelving at Menards in white to match the newly painted walls and 8ft tall to make the bookcase out of and space them 2 ft apart along one wall with an alcove in the center that, my yet to be made Gate Leg Dining Table, made of clear old growth pine from the basement shelves I salvaged from the Clothing store that closed here after over a 100 years in business, will reside in when not in use. I plane to put my paperbacks in the shelves on a 2 tiered arrangement with the top row just slightly lower than the tops of the front row to conserves space and give it some depth when full. Its going to be an experience making all the doors for the bookcase out of some of the old growth pine to match the pine flooring, I plan to set up and do the same operation on all of them at once then change setup for the next operation like I did when I was smithing full time.

I hope to have enough room at the top to display my 4 or 500 toy fire trucks too. The little ones will be hard to see, so I plan on placing slanted mirror backs so they can be seen from down below.