PDA

View Full Version : Yet More G0513X Talk (Caster addition)

Russ Massery
06-14-2009, 6:22 PM
Finally got around to installing my Great Lakes casters on my G0513X Bandsaw. I used two pieces of 2" square tubing. Then welded a 3" piece of 2"x2" angle to it. Actually I made a frame to go under the saw. But to my surprise I found that they spot welded a stiffener runs from front to back. About 5 1/2" from both sides. So I cut the angle off so it would fit. I drilled and taped the tubing from the top and ran bolts down from the existing holes in the base. There "Sweet" the saw moves very freely. And when I lower the pads it's rock solid. Couldn't be happier, I hated the universal moblie base I was using. Just waiting for the saw to tip over when I moved it.:eek:

Chris Ricker
06-14-2009, 8:08 PM
I agree about the mobile bases however I only move mine about 18 inches or so to cut the long stock.
If I had to move it around the shop yours is a very nice alternative. Safe and secure.

Barry Vabeach
06-14-2009, 9:31 PM
Russ, do you have any trouble lowering and raising the pads? I got the GL casters and put them on a cabinet saw. While it glides very easily when the pads are up, it is quite hard to screw the pads down to lift the rollers. It didn't come with a wrench, so I tried using a screwdriver and that was an excercise in frustration.

Russ Massery
06-14-2009, 10:27 PM
The bandsaw is a lot lighter then a cabinet saw. I think the weight might be a factor

glenn bradley
06-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Beauty Russ. Great fit and I would love to get my G0513X off of the Shop Fox base. it is pretty solid with some modifications to the base but I would prefer four solid contact points. Don't those casters come with a little spanner wrench for raising and lowering the feet? Woodcraft's version does.

Russ Massery
06-15-2009, 9:53 PM
Glenn, Mine didn't but I bought them some time ago. The box was sitting on my workbench too long to say.

Dave Avery
06-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Have the same saw and the same casters. I just bolted the casters through the existing holes in the sheet metal. No issues or deformation of the metal over the last ~8 months. As mentioned, raising and lowering the pads is a pain, but for the very occasional moves that I do, it's not a big deal. I also have them on my Jet JJP-12 jointer/planer and they function similarly well. Best. Dave.