PDA

View Full Version : A tool gloat from the past

george wilson
06-14-2009, 1:07 PM
I was up at Kutztown at the flea market extravaganza one year. Early into the trek through the outdoor dealers,I came across this large young guy with dozens of patternmaker's chisels and gouges neatly arranged on a big tarp. There were also Disston backsaws,and many other tools. Everything was in really nice condition.Old tools,properly used and cared for. No rust. I had $500 on me,and said to myself "I might as well bite the bullet",as I'd never seen such a nice spread. I hated to blow everything so early in the show.

I asked the guy the price. He said something like $40.00 each,and that he had just bought them from a patternmaker's shop that closed. I picked out over 3 dozen chisels and gouges. I asked the price. He screwed his face around for several seconds,and said"$150.00" !!!

I paid him and got out of there!! These were all top quality brands,old American and some English brands,probably from the 30's,or a little later. I still have them.

Later,I wished I'd gone for more!! The guy could not add.

Another gloat. Some guy from New Jersey came into the Musical Instrument shop.After hearing the interpretation,he said he had a box full of old carving tools that he would take $75.00 for. They were his grandfather's. I asked how many,and what brand. He didn't know. I explained that they might be good or old junk.When he got back,I called him. He couldn't read the brand names because the chisels were all black,he said. I took a chance and sent him the money. He then started telling me hat he had decided to keep the planes,and this and that. This frustrated me,as it wasn't the deal we made for the whole box.I kept quiet,and just waited.

When they arrived,I found that there were many graduated sizes and sweeps of 19th.C. Addis carving tools.A few from the 18th.C. were in there too. The handles were customer made,and bad looking,so I made handles for then,and polished them all up,which was quite a job.

So,I got all those carving tools for $1.00 each.I think he paid shipping,too. Now,those chisels are $40.00 each at flea markets. I still have them.

Harlan Barnhart
06-14-2009, 8:59 PM
Is that Kutztown tool event still happening?

george wilson
06-14-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm sure it is. They had one in April,june,and a third in (I think) Agust.

The best place to go is Renninger's in Adamstown. It's an extremely large flea market. Usually the out door dealers do Friday and Saturday in Kutztown,then move down to Renningers on Sunday during extravaganza weekends. Also see The Black Angus flea market,and Schupps grove.They are all very close in Adamstown. Google Renninger's.