PDA

View Full Version : My Table Saw

Ed Sallee
06-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Today, I was cutting a rather heavy piece of bubinga. It was an inch thick, 9-3/4" wide and about 70" long. I needed to trim it down to about 50 inches.

I got to thinking..... I read a lot about the Unisaws, Powermatics, Griz's, Sawstops, etc... and I have never seen anything about the DW-746. I just wanted to say that I've had it for about 7 years and it's done everything I've asked of it.

I also have the DW-7461 Heavy Duty Sliding Table and the DW-7463 Heavy Duty Outfeed Table.

I love the convenience of the DW7461......as you can see here, in the picture.

So - here's to you Dewalt - and to any other DW-746 owners.... It's certainly the unsung hero of my woodshop.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/2009%20Project%2011/DSC08488.jpg

David G Baker
06-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Ed,
A friend of mine has a Jet slider, it is so accurate that he can skip the jointer in most cases. His slider is an integral part of his saw and not an add on like most of the sliders. I have not seen the Jet for sale as a slider and your Dewalt is the first that I have seen a photo of.

Keith Outten
06-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Ed,

The number one feature that any tablesaw can have is a slider IMO.
From your picture I see a coffe cup, calculator and a comfortable looking chair....nice workshop, all the essentials are covered :)

Bill Aldrich
06-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Ed, I have a Jet slider and the mechanism looks exactly like yours. The only difference is you have a miter slot. If anyone is thinking about a sliding table get one with a miter slot. You don't realize how much you use one until you don't have it. For example, I had to put a steel plate on my tenoning jig and then mount magna-switches to hold it in place. Tenoning jigs won’t work in the right hand miter slot unless you would like to pull the jig from behind the blade. I just didn't think that was a great idea.

The Jet has a fixed miter gauge that bolts on to the table. It's not bad but it's a bit of a hassle to install and remove opposed to just slipping in a miter gauge. Take care, Bill

Jim Kountz
06-14-2009, 5:21 PM
A good friend of mine has that saw Ed, he loves it. I used to give him a hard time about getting a "real" saw but he always said "my saw does fine" and hes right!!

Bob Levy
06-14-2009, 6:26 PM
I've been using the 746 for about 9 years and wouldn't replace it for the world. It's the perfect saw for me. I also have the slider and it comes in handy all the time.

I asked at the Dewalt factory repair store in Indianapolis why they never brought out a replacement or upgrade to the DW746. He said they never will. They designed that saw before they bought Delta. Now they don't want to compete against their Unisaw. As soon as he said that it made total sense.

Tom Adger
06-14-2009, 7:18 PM
Kieth, I think I also see a Wixie angle indicator. It is amazing how much use I get out of mine.

Ed Sallee
06-14-2009, 8:07 PM
Kieth, I think I also see a Wixie angle indicator. It is amazing how much use I get out of mine.

Wow... you guys have sharp eyes.... I use the heck out of my wixey as well....

Tim Wagner
06-15-2009, 12:30 AM
The slider looks like a great feature. do my arms count as a slider? LOL