PDA

View Full Version : Need a miter saw stand!

Deck Reagan
06-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I just ordered the Hitachi slider. I am looking for a Miter saw stand. My shop is small and I would like something that I can do repeat cuts. I have seen good reviews on the Ridgid but not sure if it has stops for repeat cuts. Mobility in the shop would also be nice.

What have you guys had good luck with.

deck99

Bill Huber
06-14-2009, 11:00 AM
I would just make my own, a few 2x4s and a little time and you could make one just to fit your needs. Put it on a mobile base or put wheels on it and you are set. You have it the height you want and it just fits your needs.

I have made a few stands with 2x4s, plan them down a little on all sides and they really work out nice and they are cheap.

Caspar Hauser
06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
If your saw will live in your workshop then Bill has it. You can create a solution to suit your particular circumstances.

Norm made a couple of saw stations, perhaps you could adapt something that might hinge to the wall, or pulley up out of the way?

If you will be taking your saw out and about with any frequency and require ease then the DeWalt folding saw stand is the one I would recommend. I've had one for a few years now, it gets left out in the rain and snow, is in and out of the truck and is still sturdy and reliable, I would duct tape the rubber feet onto the legs though. I've seen orange coloured saw stands on jobsites and they have failed quite soon, the extensible arms are not long enough in comparison with the DeWalt and sag badly requiring readjustment of the stock supports at each length adjustment. If accurate repeatable cuts are required then make a stop system as the stops on the orange and Dewalt stands leave a little to be desired.

Bill White
06-14-2009, 12:36 PM
I found a Ryobi MS stand at the Borg a few years ago for $99.00. Steel tubes so it is heavier than the alloy units, but solid as a rock. Not the best to drag around, but I would buy it again. It does have stops that pop up from the ends of the sliding arms.
Bill :)

phil harold
06-14-2009, 1:47 PM
one of the best tool purchase I ever made was a sawhelper
the best mitersaw stands I have ever used
portable, accurate, best stop for mutple cuts, and continuous work support

http://www.sawhelper.com/

Steve Rozmiarek
06-14-2009, 2:41 PM
TracMaster makes my favorite. I don't use it in the shop much anymore, because I have a dedicated stand that holds shaper tooling and has dust collection that the saw sits on, but outside of the shop, it's great.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B6JY3EDWL._SS400_.jpg

You can add more sopports and stops as well.

Dave Sweeney
06-14-2009, 2:44 PM
I have the Ridgid MSUV and think it's great but for repeat accurate cuts I wouldn't trust the stop feature on this stand or any of the jobsite stands that are available out there. These stands are designed more for jobsite use than for woodworking use so if you want one that will give you repeatable accurate cuts, I'd go the homemade stationary stand route.

Clint deal
06-14-2009, 6:45 PM
I bought the Rigid MS-UV also about 5 -6 years ago. I love it myself. As far as repeatability mine has no stops for that but as far as mobility it is great.
I can set it up stationary in my shop or take it on the job very easily. I looked at several different brands and caught mine on sell for $100 so I bought it.
I is very mobile. Easy to close up and load and go
Very stable when set up as well.
clint

Alan Bienlein
06-14-2009, 7:49 PM
How about something like this. Its on wheels so its mobile and you can do up to a 48" cut with a stop on either side for repeatability.

Don Bullock
06-14-2009, 9:17 PM
I found a Ryobi MS stand at the Borg a few years ago for $99.00. Steel tubes so it is heavier than the alloy units, but solid as a rock. Not the best to drag around, but I would buy it again. It does have stops that pop up from the ends of the sliding arms.

I have the same stand and have found it to be very useful. For $99 when HD puts it on sale it's unbeatable for the money.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/5d/5d091bf2-ef1b-4583-9811-65b557fa3e1d_300.jpg

The end pieces extend out quite a bit. It's down at our new house so I can't give an actual length. The contractor I had building some things, including a deck, at the house loved the stand. He abandoned his new DeWalt stand and used mine for a lot of his work.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-14-2009, 9:55 PM
one of the best tool purchase I ever made was a sawhelper
the best mitersaw stands I have ever used
portable, accurate, best stop for mutple cuts, and continuous work support

http://www.sawhelper.com/

That's a nice stand but last month's Professional Deck Builder said that model will not work with a slider. I guess if you made the table bigger it might work.It's a nice setup for sure and the best repeatable stop in the business.

Thomas Canfield
06-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I also have the Ridgid wheel unit that collapses and stores vertical to get out of the way. There are no stops or fence, but I use a piece of 1/4" plywood with a 3/4 x 2" straight edge attached to the fence of the miter saw to have a stop on one side. A benifit of that is it also serves as a zero-clearance fence and backs up the cross cut and is easily changed if I do a miter cut through the fence and 1/4" base. Stops can then be clamped to the fence and added to any length.

The wheel unit is geat for taking the saw out of the closed shop when working with cedar and treated wood to keep the dust out of the shop. My dust collector just doesn't do the greatest with the miter saw.

Randal Stevenson
06-15-2009, 12:46 AM
I just ordered the Hitachi slider. I am looking for a Miter saw stand. My shop is small and I would like something that I can do repeat cuts. I have seen good reviews on the Ridgid but not sure if it has stops for repeat cuts. Mobility in the shop would also be nice.

What have you guys had good luck with.

deck99

I have the same stand and have found it to be very useful. For $99 when HD puts it on sale it's unbeatable for the money.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/5d/5d091bf2-ef1b-4583-9811-65b557fa3e1d_300.jpg

The end pieces extend out quite a bit. It's down at our new house so I can't give an actual length. The contractor I had building some things, including a deck, at the house loved the stand. He abandoned his new DeWalt stand and used mine for a lot of his work.

The Ryobi is good, and it breaks down easily, BUT, it isn't for a 12" slider (I know that one was on sale, but don't know if that is what you bought).
The Old Ridgid, similar to a newer Craftsman style, but with larger wheels, was well liked for these (not easily removeable though).

Rich Engelhardt
06-15-2009, 5:43 AM
Hello,

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922304000P

They go on sale from time to time for $79.00

I liked mine so much I bought 2 of them. I cut the legs on the second one down by 6" so it's a more comfortable height to sit in front of/better working height for my benchtop 10" bandsaw and/or bechtop drill press.

Brian W Evans
06-15-2009, 6:14 AM
I bought this stand about a year ago. I mainly use it to move my SCMS around the shop, but I also drag it out into the driveway/lawn for construction projects. It is quite solid both when cutting and moving. The stand is very easy to raise/lower due to the hydraulic lift assist. It can also be moved without collapsing it, which is part of the reason I went with this one. The wheels are large and sturdy which makes it easy to roll over power cords, steps, and grass.

It has some drawbacks, though. First, the extension arms and stops get in the way of the handle you use to pull and lift the stand, which makes it awkward to move longer distances. This can be avoided by moving one of the rollers out of the way, but then the roller is no longer level with your saw. The extensions are also not that long - only 88". This hasn't been a problem in the shop but has been a problem when cutting long pieces of crown or casing. As for stop accuracy, I wouldn't rely on them for anything other than framing-type cuts. Finally, it seems to be a little low to the ground. I'm only 5'8" and I sometimes wish it were taller.

All in all, it is adequate. I would consider other stands if I had it to do over again, but wouldn't rule this one out. I'll be moving in a year or two and, when I do, I'll build a long SCMS station along one wall of my new shop (a la Norm) and put a Kreg track/stop system on it. I'll keep this stand for construction work outside the shop.

phil harold
06-15-2009, 7:00 AM
That's a nice stand but last month's Professional Deck Builder said that model will not work with a slider. I guess if you made the table bigger it might work.It's a nice setup for sure and the best repeatable stop in the business.

Hmmm
I just reread that article and your confusing two products

www.deckmagazine.com/pdf/2009/0903/0903mite.pdf

I Have had mine connected to my hitachi slider for 14 years
I bought extra brackets so it could connect to my mitersaw or slider

The reasons I love this stand is

I can use either saw in it
Flipstop with an accurate scale.
Continuous support is a must for trim work