PDA

View Full Version : amazon.com free shipping - is it truely free?

Brian Peters
06-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I've used it on other smaller items but for those who have bought power tools on there is it 100% free? I was looking at a new drill press and it claims free shipping while every other dealer wants around $80 to deliver it with a lift gate + "excessive weight fees" while amazon has the cheapest price and is free shipping. Seems too good to be true? :cool: Thanks.

Mike Lipke
06-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Buy it before they change their mind.

Matt Tawes
06-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I've used it on other smaller items but for those who have bought power tools on there is it 100% free? I was looking at a new drill press and it claims free shipping while every other dealer wants around $80 to deliver it with a lift gate + "excessive weight fees" while amazon has the cheapest price and is free shipping. Seems too good to be true? :cool: Thanks.

I purchased a number of my large machines through Amazon probably 8-10yrs. ago (like tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer, drum sander etc.) and when they offerered free shipping it was completely free when otherwise would have been $100+ from them or other vendors. Now there may be some discrepncy on that through the carrier if not UPS/Fed-x (like inside delivery, liftgate etc.) but not likley. If the invoice when you check out shows free then its free, and if the carrier has a service fee (like some freight companies try to impose) after the fact you can refuse the delivery and dispute it.

Anthony Anderson
06-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Yep, it is free if it states free. If not, there will be a note on the page that will state, "additional shipping/freight fee of $XXX.XX", or something to that effect.

I have bought a few large items from Amazon, and they have never hidden any charges, nor tried to charge for additional fees afterwards. They are my top two or three favorite companies.

Bill

Bill Huber
06-14-2009, 10:47 AM
I got my Jet table saw from them and it was free shipping and no taxes so it saved me a bunch.

There was no charge for the shipping what so ever, the shipping company they used was very good and called me to set up a time to bring it by.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-14-2009, 11:01 AM
I pay $79 a year and get free shipping on ALL orders ALL the time. They have lost $$$ on me to shipping every year since I joined [Amazon Prime]. They have never produced any hidden charges and are always prompt to ship.

Lance Norris
06-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I bought my Jet lathe, Unisaw, and Delta drill press all shipped free from Amazon... and no tax. Good deal in my mind.

Robert Strebler
06-14-2009, 11:19 AM
I've gotten my money's worth from Amazon Prime also. Free 2 day shipping is fantastic!

Brian Peters
06-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Those who used their freight (free shipping) for larger tools how did you find the shipping, 1 week? 2 weeks? were they reasonable for setting up a time to deliver?

Matt Armstrong
06-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Buying stuff on amazon isn't truly no tax, they just don't withhold... you're obligated to report it to your state on your own in most cases...

Brian Peters
06-14-2009, 1:05 PM
I doubt many people declare that though, you would have to be making a considerable amount of purchases online to make it worth it for the government to pursue you legally.

Frank Hagan
06-14-2009, 2:16 PM
I have bought some fairly heavy things from them, like my DeWalt 735 planer, and the free shipping has always been free.

Some states are requiring Amazon to collect sales taxes based on the ship-to address; New York does now. It used to be that the retailer only had to collect the sales tax if they had a "business presence" in the state.

Here in California, I have to declare the purchase on my state income tax form in order to pay the "use tax" on it. I do so because Amazon can be asked to report to the state authorities, and the penalties and interest are too high for me to ignore. The state started a crackdown in 2008 by sending letters to businesses; I suspect with our budget problems there will be more emphasis on finding those committing tax fraud. If you know you're supposed to pay it, and don't, you can be charged with a criminal offense. Usually they are happy with the civil remedy: tax, penalty, and interest. And an audit of your last three year's tax returns. The problems with the tax officials is you are basically in the position of proving your innocence rather than making them prove it if they pursue the civil remedy. And they can be pretty intimidating.

There are some exemptions here for capital goods purchased for a business, so those of you who have pro shops may be off the hook for sales taxes (they get you on the property tax side, I think).

Robert Chapman
06-14-2009, 8:31 PM
It is free when Amazon says it is. I bought an 8 inch Jet jointer from Amazon with "free" shipping. The trucking company charged me a $75 lift gate fee which I paid with a check to the driver. Five minutes later Amazon called to see if I was happy with the service. When I told them about the lift fee they said that "they would take care of it". Twenty minutes later the 18 wheeler that had delivered my jointer pulled up in front of my house and the driver returned my check for the lift gate fee. Great service from Amazon!

Jerry Olexa
06-14-2009, 8:38 PM
If they say so, it is....

Brian Peters
06-14-2009, 8:42 PM
It is free when Amazon says it is. I bought an 8 inch Jet jointer from Amazon with "free" shipping. The trucking company charged me a $75 lift gate fee which I paid with a check to the driver. Five minutes later Amazon called to see if I was happy with the service. When I told them about the lift fee they said that "they would take care of it". Twenty minutes later the 18 wheeler that had delivered my jointer pulled up in front of my house and the driver returned my check for the lift gate fee. Great service from Amazon!

That's awesome! I wonder how amazon pulls these deals, not only are they rock bottom cheap but free shipping? They must be doing some incredible volume to get the deals from the freighters. I visited 3 local dealers and all wanted me to pay $80+$30 lift gate for freight and none seemed that enthusiastic about selling the tool to me. Since everything was so impersonal I figured I would just buy it online do my own research and not pay patronage to local business. Ever since woodcraft went out of business here I don't have a go to place to. :rolleyes:

Brian Peters
06-14-2009, 8:43 PM

by the way how long did it take to receive after payment/placing order?

Brian Peters
06-15-2009, 7:03 PM
hmm amazon is processing the order as of this morning.. this is the estimate I received thus far -

Shipping estimate:June 22, 2009 - June 23, 2009

Shipment #1: 1 item - delivery estimate: June 29, 2009 - July 7, 2009

:confused: Well I guess its better than paying $150+ to have it freighted normal shipping. Will my drill press come by camel back?

Robert Chapman
06-15-2009, 9:00 PM
About one week - seemed fine to me. It's free shipping - I don't expect next day when it's free.

Frank Hagan
06-16-2009, 2:58 AM
They sometimes beat the estimate on ship dates ... usually on the front end of the deal (the day they actually give the product to the carrier).

Chris Damm
06-16-2009, 7:28 AM
I have bought many items from them with free shipping. I usually recieve them 2-3 days before the estimate.

Frank Trinkle
06-16-2009, 7:40 AM
I've been buying on Amazon for more than 10-years. It is usually my first stop when looking for a particular product. If the price is right, then I order. I have probably spent at least $75,000 at Amazon over the last 10 years.

I have NEVER had a problem with FREE shipping when it was offered, and there have never been "hidden" charges.

A few years ago, I upgraded to PRIME membership for $79/year. That membership has paid for itself many many times over. It basically gives free 2-day shipping for thousands of Amazon products, and the few times they missed the timeline, they gave me a $5.00 credit on my next purchase for failing to deliver on time. Additionally, under PRIME, you can upgrade to NEXT DAY shipping for just $3.99 on any PRIME-eligible product.

This is not just limited to small items. For example, I ordered a Bosch Contractor Table Saw last year which was eligible for PRIME. I added the $3.99 for next day shipping, and the saw was on my doorstep by 4PM the next day. It works.

You can trust Amazon... no hassles, and no BS!