PDA

View Full Version : Future Headboard Project

Matt Meiser
06-13-2009, 11:07 PM
We are moving from a full to queen size bed so I finally have an excuse to build a new headboard to replace one of my first woodworking projects that I've never really been happy with. This will go with night stands and a blanket chest I previously made. I won't get to work on it for quite a while due to my parents' kitchen project but I had plenty of time sitting around today to come up with a design. Its not exactly to scale but this is the general idea.

John Keeton
06-14-2009, 6:56 AM
Matt, I like the design. Very pleasant radius, and the raised panels will be really neat. I don't recall seeing the nightstands - what wood are you using?

Matt Meiser
06-14-2009, 9:48 AM
John, here are the other pieces I've made for that room.

Night stands (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33243&highlight=night), Blanket Chest (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1039009&postcount=6), Mirror (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34067)

We also have a dresser my parent's bought us for a wedding gift and a jewelry chest that are amish-made in Ohio that are similar in design. All are red oak.

The challenge on this project is going to be the curved cap on the top. I'm thinking I'll do it as a lamination--resaw a piece into several strips and glue them back together over a form.

Jamie Buxton
06-14-2009, 10:25 AM
The challenge on this project is going to be the curved cap on the top....

Unless you have a shaper, raising a panel along a curve can be pretty challenging too. (On the shaper, you can run the panel face-down with the edge running against a rub bearing. Piece o' cake.) Routers generally can't spin a bit that big, and vertical panel-raising bits don't do curves nicely. You might find that flat panels are more expedient.

Matt Meiser
06-14-2009, 1:09 PM
Jamie, the panel raising bit I used for the night stands actually has a bearing. My plan is to template route the top edge of the panels to the correct shape, then let the panel raiser's bearing follow that edge. For the first couple passes I'll have to have the bit buried in the fence to allow light cuts, or raise the bit a little each pass. Or am I missing something? If needed I could probably raise the panels at a friend's shop on his shaper.

Jamie Buxton
06-14-2009, 3:31 PM
Jamie, the panel raising bit I used for the night stands actually has a bearing. My plan is to template route the top edge of the panels to the correct shape, then let the panel raiser's bearing follow that edge. For the first couple passes I'll have to have the bit buried in the fence to allow light cuts, or raise the bit a little each pass. Or am I missing something? If needed I could probably raise the panels at a friend's shop on his shaper.

The router horizontal panel-raising bits I've seen cut a narrower beveled area than the usual shaper panel-raising cutters. Of course, the width of that bevel is a design choice, so maybe a narrower one fits your needs.

Jim Kountz
06-14-2009, 5:16 PM
Looks like a great design Matt, a router will work just fine raising those panels. I have a couple that leave a full reveal as Im sure you probably do too. Cant wait to see it done!!
Any thoughts about letting us follow along on the build?

Matt Meiser
06-14-2009, 7:56 PM
I will try to remember to take pictures. I'm not sure when I'll be starting. If my mom doesn't get some homework done on their kitchen it may delay things a couple weeks there, meaning depending on how I feel next week I'm tempted to get started. Worst case I'll start and have to put it on the shelf for a few months.

Jim Becker
06-14-2009, 8:29 PM
I like what I see so far.

Do consider going to king, however... ;)

John Keeton
06-15-2009, 6:27 AM
The challenge on this project is going to be the curved cap on the top. I'm thinking I'll do it as a lamination--resaw a piece into several strips and glue them back together over a form.
Matt, you could consider replicating the mirror styling - radiused panels, and a flat top cap.

Do consider going to king, however... ;)
I second this suggestion. I built a king headboard, and equipped it with hinges on each post. We bought two twin adjustable bases, and they are on roller casters. That makes them a breeze to "swing out" to make each twin, and them swing back together to throw on the king size spread.

Matt Meiser
06-15-2009, 8:28 AM
Part of the reason for the curved top (besides the challenge of building it and liking the look) is that the headboard partially blocks two windows by a couple inches. I'm hoping that putting the curve on it will at help make it look a little less intrusive.

We've had a double since we got our first house together (2000) because you couldn't have gotten anything bigger than a double up the stairs and the "master" bedroom wasn't big enough for much more. So the queen is going to be a big improvement. Our current master isn't exactly huge so we didn't want to give up too much room.

Frank Drew
06-26-2009, 1:24 PM
Matt,

I like the curve a lot, and I think that a bent lamination might be your best option for that cap board. Of course, some lumber these days will naturally have just the amount of curve you want. :cool:

Don't forget that when the bed is finally put into service your pillows will cover several inches of the headboard, so if you want the bottom rails to show, plan accordingly.

Stephen Musial
06-26-2009, 2:03 PM
John, here are the other pieces I've made for that room.

Night stands (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33243&highlight=night), Blanket Chest (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1039009&postcount=6), Mirror (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34067)

We also have a dresser my parent's bought us for a wedding gift and a jewelry chest that are amish-made in Ohio that are similar in design. All are red oak.

Bring the board down to St. Louis. Between the heat and humidity, you can leave it outside for a few hours and tie a knot in it.

But seriously, it's a gentle curve - put a hose from a kettle into some PVC pipe and steam it - should be fairly easy and less work.