PDA

View Full Version : The meeting of the one of the top dogs!

Jeff Nicol
06-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Well it has finally happenned! I have had the great honor and pleasure of meeting Mr. Steve Schlumpf and his wonderful wife on this fine evening! We spent an hour or so chatting and sharing stories of wood and our turning escapades! Mike Svoma was on hand for the meeting also, he felt a bit of awe to be in the presence of not one but two great woodturners!!!HA HA!! Mike, had to give you some grief! Steve brought us some great pieces of birdseye and quilted maple to make into some works of art, of course we had to load his vehicle with a bunch of walnut, box elder, siberian elm and some red oak burl. A great time was had by all and I hope to get up to the UP to see what Steve is up to there!

Here is the proof!

Jeff

Ken Fitzgerald
06-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Congrats Jeff! I have had the distinct pleasure of meeting several Creekers and I haven't been disappointed yet!

Mike Svoma
06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
As Jeff said, it was really gret getting to spend time with Steve and his wife tonight. We got to share a lot of experiences and stories. I am glad to saty that I am part of such a fine group of people such as the members of SMC. Thanks again Steve for taking the time out of your schedule to stop in at Jeff's house for the visit. Also thank you very much for the bird's eye maple blocks. Take care.

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Looks like a good way to spend an evening. Hanging out with fellow Creekers!!

alex carey
06-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Looks like a good time. Too bad I am so far west.

Bernie Weishapl
06-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Looks like a great time was had by all.

Cody Colston
06-13-2009, 11:27 PM
That's the only downside to being a member of a great woodworking forum...there are so many fine people here that I'd like to meet and probably never will. :(

Looks like y'all had a good get-together and swapped some nice wood.

Marc Himes
06-14-2009, 5:52 PM
I am glad for all of you Jeff, Steve and Mike. Steve is a member of our local AAW chapter so we see him frequently. Sharing our experience and passion for this craft is a great perk. If you are in the UP, there are several of us here who would be glad to meet you and anyone else on the forum too. (Drop ins are possible but notice is preferred.) We have an AAW meeting the first Tuesday of every month and visitors are welcome there as well. We meet in a forest products dealers store so come early and you may even find some great wood to turn.

Marc Himes

Jeff Nicol
06-14-2009, 8:37 PM
I am glad for all of you Jeff, Steve and Mike. Steve is a member of our local AAW chapter so we see him frequently. Sharing our experience and passion for this craft is a great perk. If you are in the UP, there are several of us here who would be glad to meet you and anyone else on the forum too. (Drop ins are possible but notice is preferred.) We have an AAW meeting the first Tuesday of every month and visitors are welcome there as well. We meet in a forest products dealers store so come early and you may even find some great wood to turn.

Marc Himes
Marc, Thanks for the invite, I truly think that if Mike and I can swing it we would make the trip up. There never has to be a reason to spend time with like minded people and share any and all info they can. I have fished in the UP quite a few times and always enjoyed the people and the beautiful country.

Take care and have a great evening,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
06-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Jeff - sure had fun! Managed to anchorseal the Walnut shortly after getting home this evening - cause I don't want anything happening to that!

Sure was a fun visit - just wish we didn't live so far apart as I feel there is much I could teach you! ..........HA HA HA!!!

No.... really....ROFLOL !!

Here is another photo of the three of us as proof of visit! Also wanted to throw in this photo of what I called Jeff's 'Captain Ahab Hollowing Tool' - reminded me of a harpoon! Not sure if he uses it on his miniatures but it he says it works really well!
120740 120741

Hey, seriously - thanks for the hospitality and taking time to give Colleen and I the grand tour - we both enjoyed it! Hope you and Mike get the chance to come up for a visit - would be fun!

Now that we are back home - the Summer Honey-Do list is going to kick in full force (can you say deck?) - so I am not real sure when I will be able to turn some of that beautiful wood you loaded in my truck - but I am looking forward to it! Thanks again!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Holy Cow Jeff! Looking at the size of that thing....is your lathe in the shop and you are turning from your recliner in the livingroom?:p

Mark Norman
06-14-2009, 11:59 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120741&thumb=1&d=1245034819
Hey Jeff, I have the same shop slippers;)

Glad ya all met up and had a good time. Wish I was there!

Jeff Nicol
06-15-2009, 9:46 AM
Holy Cow Jeff! Looking at the size of that thing....is your lathe in the shop and you are turning from your recliner in the livingroom?:p
Ken, When I am down in the floor vase about 25-30" it sure comes in handy! The bar is 1 1/8" solid steel and elm handle I still sometimes want a little more weight in the butt of the handle. I need to move all the junk that is in the picture behind me so I can use it more!

Steve, Wish we could have had some time to spin some wood and see each others skills in action. It was a great pleasure to share time with you and Colleen, we will most definitly meet again my friend!

Have a great day all,

Jeff

Mike Svoma
06-15-2009, 1:44 PM
If jeff could sit in the recliner and turn, he would figure out a way to get it done.

Steve, it was a pleasure spending time with you and Colleen on Saturday. I enjoyed hearing all of the stories from the great white north. Jeff and I are definitely going to take a road trip up to Michigan some time soon, but like you said, the "Honey-Do List" has made an appearance and it won't be going away for a while. Thanks for stopping by.

Mike

Keith Burns
06-15-2009, 2:42 PM
Jeff and Mike, I don't "know" you guys but have known Steve (on line) for a few years. He is a great turner and a true Gentleman and is one I would sure like to meet someday (among others). Looks like you guys had a great time, lots of smiles !