PDA

View Full Version : magnetic catch for kitchen cabinet

joe milana
06-13-2009, 9:22 PM
Ok, so I'm doing a dish cabinet with true divided light doors, ordered some nice extruded brass butt hinges and knobs, but what about a catch for the doors? Is my only option a cheesy plastic magnetic catch? I want a easy "action" for every day opening and closing. Not sure I would get that from a ball catch or a double roller catch. Any ideas?

Thanks!

David Christopher
06-13-2009, 9:25 PM
rockler has some nice looking magnets that get recessed into the door by using a forstner bit....they look alot better than the cheesey ones from the BORG

David DeCristoforo
06-13-2009, 10:36 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,42363&p=42348&ap=1

joe milana
06-13-2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,42363&p=42348&ap=1

Not sure how I would use these Dave. I need something to act as a door stop as well.

David DeCristoforo
06-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Well, that is an issue. You would still need to make a wood stop. But if you use surface mounted magnetic catches, you are pretty much stuck with fairly "clunky" looking stuff. Even the ones offered by Sugatsune, a source I can almost always count on for times when the "run of the mill" simply won't do, comes up short in the magnetic latch department. I would think a small wood block with one of the Lee Valley magnet cups would be the best way to go.

PS It's DavID

joe milana
06-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Well. that is in issue. You would still need to make a wood stop. But if you use surface mounted magnetic catches, you are pretty much stuck with fairly "clunky" looking stuff. Even the ones offered by Sugatsune, a source I can almost always count on for times when the "run of the mill" simply won't do, comes up short in the magnetic latch department. I would think a small wood block with one of the Lee Valley magnet cups would be the best way to go.

Just checked out the instruction sheet for the magnets and came up with just that idea. A small wooden stop with a magnet burried into it. Thanks Dave!