PDA

View Full Version : What would this guy be worth?

Bruce Page
06-13-2009, 6:40 PM
With a full set of blades (I think), most unused.

David Keller NC
06-13-2009, 7:03 PM
With a full set of blades, the screwdriver, the auxillary depth stop and other parts, the box in good condition and (especially) the original printed insturctions, about $600 - $800 on fleabay, and as much as $1200 at a big tool auction.

harry strasil
06-13-2009, 8:15 PM
I gave $400 for my first one, it had 2 sets of blades, but one set was missing a few cutters, then one of my kids gave me a second one sans blades, so now I have two, one complete, and one almost complete, I also have 3 or 4 45's and often I have a blade in each of them, so I don't have to switch blades all the time, and I have a complete 50 too.

One of my 45's is a type 2 with no blade adjuster, luckily I had a set of blades for it I got in a box of junk at an auction.

Johnny Kleso
06-13-2009, 9:23 PM
I got one several years back for about $300 with all the blades and original wooden box (box had repaired top)

I complete boxed set would go for $500-$600

I dont see the four boxes of blades so I would say $250-$300 for whats pictured and if you have to buy blades $50-$60 per box in good condition..

Many people break up these planes as they bring more money in parts then whole most times.. So if anything is missing its not to hard to find it at eBay with some time and money...

skip coyne
06-13-2009, 10:17 PM
I sold one just like it in the early 90's for $460 .00

(35.00 garage sale find )

Jim Koepke
06-13-2009, 11:43 PM
The price you can get for it depends on the market. Look at completed deals on eBay. $400 and up should be easy to get.

If you are looking to sell, Some of your pictures are good, some of them do not really show much the others do not.

It looks like the slitter blade can be seen in one of the pix. Another shows the shoe, to the right of the screw driver. Those are two of the parts that are almost always missing. Another pic shows the adjustment lock screw, another commonly missing part. If you are going to sell it, show the blades in at least one of the pix.

The 55 is a hard plane to use and some feel they are only good for boat anchors. If you have patience, you can turn out some nice work with one.

So are you going to tell us the story behind the tool?

jim

Bruce Page
06-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys. This actually belongs to a friend (non woodworker) who was curious of its value. I offered him a hundred small ones but he turned me down…:rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
06-14-2009, 4:22 AM
Thanks guys. This actually belongs to a friend (non woodworker) who was curious of its value. I offered him a hundred small ones but he turned me down…:rolleyes:

At that price, I'll buy a couple dozen.:D

jim

David Keller NC
06-14-2009, 10:20 AM
BTW, Bruce - the presence of the screwdriver and a box in good condition adds about $250 to the price of a complete and in good shape Stanley #55. The original printed instructions adds another $200.

The condition of the nickel plating on the plane also sensitively affects the value. Perfect nickel plating on an otherwise complete 55 adds another $250 or so.

David Gendron
06-16-2009, 1:08 AM
Jim, in your opinion, wich one of the 45,50 or 55 is, was the best one, in terms of user friendly and over all good tool?

harry strasil
06-16-2009, 1:01 PM
Not Jim, but the 50 is a small plough plane only, the 45 is a plough plane and does some molding. One should master the 45, before trying the more complicated 55.

And the 45 is probably the most utilitarian of the 3.

David Gendron
06-16-2009, 4:35 PM
Thank you Harry. Those the 55 do way more than the 45?

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-16-2009, 7:29 PM
http://tinyurl.com/n6eyn7

harry strasil
06-16-2009, 8:28 PM
I saw pictures of that ebony and ivory plane in the Gristmill I believe, beutiful tool, now if they can find the solid Ivory one that dissappeared.

Jim Koepke
06-16-2009, 9:52 PM
I kind of agree with Harry. The 45s in my shop get more use than the 55 just because they are easier to set up for a rabbet or a simple bead or flute.
The 55 does more because the out board skate can be set at a different depth than the main skate.
On a 45, the cutter has to be the same height where the skates ride behind the blade. On the 55, since the outboard skate can be adjusted independently, the blade can be non-symmetrical. The total blade set for the 45 is something like 46 blades. The 55 can use all of those and about 50 more. Then there is the ability to make custom blades for either.

Good luck trying to get a full set of blades for either. I have only seen a couple for the 55 over the years on eBay. One disappeared with a buy it now at $1600. The other was in excess of $800. Have to admit though, I have not been looking of late. Have only seen one for the 45 and the person did not know what it was. They were probably surprised that the two planes and a box full of blades earned them a little over $200.

BTW, the spacing between the rods is different on these planes. Stanley made it that way so you would have to buy the whole plane, not just another part.

jtk

David Keller NC
06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
"Good luck trying to get a full set of blades for either. I have only seen a couple for the 55 over the years on eBay. One disappeared with a buy it now at $1600. The other was in excess of $800. Have to admit though, I have not been looking of late. Have only seen one for the 45 and the person did not know what it was. They were probably surprised that the two planes and a box full of blades earned them a little over $200."

A qualification - A "full" set for the 55 would include 4 boxes of what Stanely termed "special cutters" - these are largely reeding and fluting cutters of various widths and sizes. Sets of these are very, very rare, and thus go for big bucks if they're complete and in good shape.

However, the standard cutter sets aren't all that uncommon. Typically, they go for about $250 - $400 in the original boxes, in good shape (no rust, little wear), and with the original pasted labels on the boxes clearly readable and not torn/missing.

Jim Koepke
06-17-2009, 1:52 PM
A qualification - A "full" set for the 55 would include 4 boxes of what Stanely termed "special cutters" - these are largely reeding and fluting cutters of various widths and sizes. Sets of these are very, very rare, and thus go for big bucks if they're complete and in good shape.

However, the standard cutter sets aren't all that uncommon. Typically, they go for about $250 - $400 in the original boxes, in good shape (no rust, little wear), and with the original pasted labels on the boxes clearly readable and not torn/missing.

Sorry, I did not make that clearer. The two 45 planes, one Stanley, one Wards (made by Stanley) came with the standard set supplied with the p lanes plus all the fluting and reeding cutters and a reverse sash blade.

The "full set" (maybe better labeled an extended set) for the 55 includes flute cutters to fill in the original four, the 3, 4, and 5 reed cutters, a lot of ogee cutters and such to extend the sizes that come with the standard set supplied with the plane.

Here is a link to a manual for the 55:

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/comb-planes/55man.pdf

Toward the end of the manual is a list of the supplied blades and on the next page is a list of the "special" cutters.

jim