PDA

View Full Version : A play-yard and slide in the bush

Frank Pellow
08-21-2004, 10:48 PM
One of my projects at Pellow's Camp this summer was to make a play-yard for visiting children. I was under some pressure because my daughter, her husband, and their two children were due to arrive for a one week visit only 8 days after Margaret and I got there.

Our camp is a 2 acre island on a remote chain of lakes about 40 kilometres in length north of Hearst Ontario which, in turn, is about 1000 kilometres north-west of Toronto. I have posted a little bit about the camp in the past, and because of the interest shown, I will put a "Tout of Pellow's Camp" in the Off-Topic forum in September or October.

For now, I will restrict myself the play-yard project. I decided to place the play yard on a relatively flat section of ground in the middle of the island where it can not be seen from the lake. The area is a 50/50 mixture of bush and cleared area with lots of little trials and hiding places. I placed about 60 metres of fence around the perimeter. This will not keep a determined kid in, but it does serve to denote a boundary which most children will obey and which will slow down all others. The island is surrounded by deep water so we keep a good watch on non-swimmers.

The big feature of the play yard is a slide and platform for same. The slide is the "turbo-tower" made by a company named Highland. I have made some things with their kits in the past and liked both the designs and the quality of the hardware. This time, I purchased only the slide at a "fire sale" and designed the a two-stage platform based on some pictures from Highland and using hardware that I purchased myself.

I did not quite finish in time but, with Kathleen's help, got enough of the platform built and the full slide put together within 36 hours of their arrival.

Five pictures are attached:

(1) Part of the fence and me starting to work on the slide platform

(2) A picture of the completed slide looking through the bush

(3) A closer shot of the slide and platform

Dennis Peacock
08-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Nice going Frank and I LOVE that pretty smile on a happy childs face.!! :D

You did real good.!!!!

Joe Mioux
08-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Hey Frank:

Two comments, one from my 8yr old daughter who said "Dude! That is cool!" and Mrs. Mioux who said "Oh my!"

Once my girls speak, nothing else is left to be said.

Joe

Frank Pellow
08-21-2004, 11:16 PM
...I LOVE that pretty smile on a happy childs face.!! :D

Yes, me too -there is no better reward than that! :)

Charles McKinley
08-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Too Cute Frank! That is quite the slide and tower. Enkjoy your time at camp.

JayStPeter
08-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Nice job there Frank!

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Frank
What better to say than what a child would say - "Oh! Boy - Get out of my way, I'm next!"
Great Job.
Daniel :D

Christian Aufreiter
08-22-2004, 1:08 PM
Nice job, Frank. Looks like a great adventure park for kids. I may suggest that you add a excavator and a crane. Excavators always got my attention when I was a kid.

Regards,

Christian

Frank Pellow
08-24-2004, 6:24 AM
Thanks, Joe, Charles, Jay, Daniel, and Christian.

I will probably add a big swing to the play-yard next summer. Cristian, I am afraid that an excavator and crane is out of the question. Also, I like the term "adventure Park" that you used -sounds better than "play-yard".

Christian Aufreiter
08-24-2004, 8:06 AM
Thanks, Joe, Charles, Jay, Daniel, and Christian.

I will probably add a big swing to the play-yard next summer. Cristian, I am afraid that an excavator and crane is out of the question. Also, I like the term "adventure Park" that you used -sounds better than "play-yard".

Frank,
I wasn't thinking of a sophisticated crane or excavator. A simple crane can be realized quite easily IMO. Just add an arm and a basic winch to the tower. As for the excavator, I remember that boy in my neighbourhood had a wooden type where he could sit down and dig.
Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of it.

Regards,

Christian

Frank Pellow
08-24-2004, 8:30 AM
Frank,
I wasn't thinking of a sophisticated crane or excavator. A simple crane can be realized quite easily IMO. Just add an arm and a basic winch to the tower. As for the excavator, I remember that boy in my neighbourhood had a wooden type where he could sit down and dig.
Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of it.

Regards,

Christian

An arm and a winch might work and might be fun (both to make and to play with). I will think about it.

Tyler Howell
08-24-2004, 8:47 AM
Frank,
You need to get your priorities straight, wrap you mind around that shop, and move forward. :mad:
Can't think of a better distraction and what a cutie.:D Another great reason for safe work practices.:rolleyes: ;)

PS Chris, Jim, Somebody pull another Avatar out of these posts. You look like your in pain buddy!:( For a guy with it all going on, you gotta have a bigger smile!:D

Rich Konopka
08-24-2004, 6:50 PM
Hey Frank, Is it true what they say about being a Grandparent? That it is so special to have grandchildren? I have two girls and I love being a parent. I can only imagine what is is going to be like one day when I become a Poppy !! It must be fun bulding them things and spoiling them as a grandparent. They will always remember the summers by the Lake. Thanks for sharing !!

Chris Padilla
08-24-2004, 7:02 PM
Frank, Tyler twisted my arm so I spent a few minutes working on a new avatar for you. Hope you like it; usual disclaimers apply: use it and it's free...ignore it and I'll have to charge you! ;)

Frank Pellow
08-24-2004, 8:40 PM
Frank, Tyler twisted my arm so I spent a few minutes working on a new avatar for you. Hope you like it; usual disclaimers apply: use it and it's free...ignore it and I'll have to charge you! ;)

Thanks for the effort Chris, but I am not really smiling in that picture either. :(

I will find a picture where I am smiling :) and update my avator some time soon.

Frank Pellow
08-24-2004, 8:46 PM
Hey Frank, Is it true what they say about being a Grandparent? That it is so special to have grandchildren? I have two girls and I love being a parent. I can only imagine what is is going to be like one day when I become a Poppy !! It must be fun bulding them things and spoiling them as a grandparent. They will always remember the summers by the Lake. Thanks for sharing !!

Yes Rich it is special. We also had two girls and I spent a lot of time with them when they were growing up knowing that the opportunity would not come again. In fact, I still spend a lot of time with them. I can't say that I enjoy my grandchildren any more than I did our children, but I guess that I do "spoil" them more than I did our children.