PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer question.

Bill Wyko
06-13-2009, 1:43 PM
I bought a can of Deft Lacquer to spray a Humidor I'm building. I got home and read the can and it said "Do not thin or spray this product" Is this due tot he EPA or will it ruin my project if I attempt this? I ended up brushing on 4 coats then sanding with 220 the next day. Then I applied 4 more coats and started sanding with 400, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000 and then a rubbing compound and an automotive wax. Looks like I poured molten glass on it. Sanding out the brush marks is a PITA. I'd much rather spray the coats. Is there a lacquer I should use to spray? Can I apply it over this lacquer if I wanted to? Thanks.

David Christopher
06-13-2009, 3:12 PM
Bill, I normaly use the rattle cans but I have bought deft brushing laquer and thined and sprayed it....and I use automotive compounds also and it worked just fine.....I use the sanding sealer first, it makes the gloss go on easier

Casey Gooding
06-13-2009, 10:03 PM
I've sprayed brushing lacquer as well. Just make sure you thin it enough.

Jon Amsden
06-14-2009, 10:58 AM
"Do not thin" due to EPA like you said.

Steve Clardy
06-15-2009, 5:23 PM
I use the Watco brushable lacquer, which states not to spray it.

I've been spraying it for about 4 years now.
I have to thin it some in cooler weather.

Matt Tawes
06-15-2009, 6:39 PM
You should switch to waterborne lacquer such Target coatings or similar.
I use Target products almost exclusively now and have been using their lacquer for about 3yrs. with outstanding results, you can spray, wipe or brush most all of their products and thin with water or also use a retarding additive to slow the drying down and aid in leveling. Its spray via HVLP almost foolproof.

The reason alot of mfr. and instructions say not to thin or spray their lacquers are due EPA and safety stds. All solvent based laquers (like Nitro cellulose) are extremely flamable when thinned and atomized by spraying and are in violation when not sprayed in a booth with proper ventilation and filtering. Electrical outlets, lights or non-explosion proof fan or any slight spark can set them off faster than gasoline.

Try the water based stuff by Target or others, you cannot tell the difference and the outcome is superb. Super fast drying, recoat anytime with complete burn in charateristics and they polish to a brilliant gloss.

Jim Becker
06-16-2009, 8:44 PM
Matt, just to be accurate, the Target Coatings product you mention is "lacquer" in name only. It's an acrylic finish (as are pretty much all water bornes) that Target was able to instill some of the desirable features of solvent based lacquer, such as burn-in, but without the nasty features, such as the VOC and dangerous solvents. That said, I agree that products like this are really top notch these days and worthy of consideration by anyone wanting great results and safer spraying.

Matt Tawes
06-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Right on Jim. I should have reiterated that it has all the characteristics of Lacquer without actually being the same chemical makeup except and that its safer and a harder finsish than true NC lacquer. I actually preferred the old formulation USL vs. the EM6000 that replaced it but still one of the best finishes out there. They also mfr. a variety of waterborne finishes for other brand names.

Prashun Patel
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
You CAN thin Deft lacquer with lacquer thinner - just as you can thin solvent varnishes with more solvent. Solvent-based product manufacturers are required to say 'do not thin' by the VOC powers that be. It is a regulatory (which is loosely correlated with safety) issue - NOT a compatibility or functionality issue.

That being said, many have reported spraying Deft 'brushing lacquer' just fine.

BORG's around here are clearing all Deft and Varathane and Watco products out in favor of Behr brand finishes. If you look in the clearance section of the paint sections of the BORG's, you can find some good steals on Deft rattle cans and Danish oil.....