PDA

View Full Version : Stencil & Mental Block

Carol Barbero
06-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi All:
I inquired about a Notre Dame vector yesterday because I need to make a stencil. Someone at work wants to use it spray paint the emblem on a tool box. I got some good suggestions, found the image and can vector cut it no problem. However, when you cut it out, I get the perfect logo, but not the perfect stencil they would need to use it to paint it because basically it's just the outline of the logo. Any ideas on how I could do this? I know there has to be a way but I'm having mental block.

Dee Gallo
06-13-2009, 8:50 PM
Carol,

Your question leaves a lot out, so it's hard to answer. First, what does your image look like (bitmap vs. outlines) and did you create it or get it from someone else? In other words, is it in a form you can edit? I can assume the outline is a vector since you can cut it, but what about the rest?

Second, have you ever used a stencil? If not, you have to understand how they work. The key is to make small connectors to keep the insides from falling out. Also, if there is more than one color involved, you need a different stencil for each color and registration marks to make them line up.

So, maybe you should post a picture of the image you want to use and we can help you.

cheers, dee

Peter Meacham
06-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Carol

I made a little ND Stencil - unfortunately, you have to have inner connecting lines as Dee said to hold the inside bits from falling out so it looks a bit funny - much as any stencil does.

You can take the curve apart if you wish to make changes.

Pete

Joe Pelonio
06-14-2009, 12:37 AM
You can avoid the connectors if you use a little flat double sided tape to hold the inner piece(s) in place while spraying. Better yet, use plotter cut vinyl stencil material. It's like the stuff used for lettering but stiffer and with a special adhesive for removing it. The only problem is that it's single use, so more expensive for the buyer, more profit for the seller.

Carol Barbero
06-14-2009, 8:15 PM
Sorry about that I actually meant to attach the file. I'm attaching it now but understand what you all are saying. Thank you all for the input and example. That makes sense that you have to use connectors. I kept staring at it and thought there must be a way but couldn't come up with it. Thanks again!