PDA

View Full Version : Help with Trend Airshield Pro?

Jim Underwood
06-13-2009, 11:36 AM
I've enjoyed the extra power of my Airshield over the old Triton, but there are some drawbacks..

One is that the weight of the whole unit is on your head. That means battery, motor and filters are there, in addition to the faceshield...

The second drawback is the there seems to be no "stop" or friction lock on the hinge/pivot point. This means that even though the straps are all fitted as well as I can get them, the faceshield still pivots down and pushes on my glasses, pressing them into my nose, which gives me a headache after an hour or so...

The third drawback is when I cock the thing back on my head, and tighten the headstrap tight enough to keep it from cocking forward, it cuts off circulation...

What's a turner ta do?

Suggestions, solutions?

Bill Wyko
06-13-2009, 1:38 PM
Send it to me for additional testing.:D

Bob Michaels
06-13-2009, 1:48 PM
I had same issues with that unit. Returned it and purchased 3m Airstream. It's pricey, but the best of all of them.

http://www.airwareamerica.com/3mhepaas400airstreamsystem.aspx

Alan Zenreich
06-13-2009, 2:39 PM
I don't understand what you mean about there being no friction lock on the pivot points. The two knobs the tighten the pivot point...this keeps the shield in position.

Am I missing something?

Ken Glass
06-13-2009, 3:15 PM
Jim,
I have had mine Pro for 5-6 months now. At first it took some adjusting to get it to feel right on my head. Now I can go all day on it and it feels fine. I suggest you do some internal adjustment to get the fit just right for your head. The pivot points on each side are adjustable to the point where it will move up and stay. The inner carriage is also adjustable for your best comfort. I didn't find the instructions to be of the best help, it took a little time and effort to get the most comfortable fit for me. Give it another chance, I am sure you can get it right.

Jim Underwood
06-13-2009, 9:52 PM
I've tightened those darn screws so tight I can't get 'em any tighter. Have to get some pliers out to turn 'em any more...:mad:

The stupid thing still flops about...

It's ok if I'm looking straight ahead, but the moment I look down it's crammin' my glasses into my nose...

Alan Zenreich
06-14-2009, 9:53 AM
My guess is that the pivot screws need to be replaced or perhaps there's something missing (perhaps a washer? I haven't taken mine apart)

It might be a good idea to contact Trend. Your shield should stay put, and they'll likely be able to help correct the problem.

Ken Glass
06-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Jim,
I did a little experiment to see if I could duplicate your problems with my Trend AirShield Pro. I also wear glasses. Any where I adjusted the head band adjustment knob, (even when opened up to let the head band touch the top of my ears), my glasses did not touch the face shield. Also there is not a friction washer or any other device on the locking mechanism for the face shield except the screw, bushing and nut. My locking nuts only take light hand pressure to hold the shield in the up most position. That position, however, is only at a level near my glasses temples and not all the way over my head. After doing this, I believe you must have a problem with your shield. It has a (1) one year warranty, so I would contact the seller and return it for another one. It should be very comfortable while wearing for several hours. I hope this will shed light on things for you.

Kirk Miller
06-14-2009, 3:15 PM
Jim

It may be the shape of your head. I'm not making fun of you but I found out long ago all heads are not created equal. I have a hard time finding a motorcycle helmet that is comfortable for me because of the shape of my head, and the extra room required for glasses. I would definately reccomend calling trend for guidance before you do anything else though. Just my 10 cents.

Kirk

Alan Zenreich
06-14-2009, 3:34 PM
The shape of his head shouldn't affect the ability of the pivot screws to lock the shield position securely.

A call to Trend should sort things out.

BILL DONAHUE
06-14-2009, 4:25 PM
Had the same problem with the faceshield just flopping down when I first got mine. Once I hand-tightened the two knobs by the left and right temple, it worked fine, every time.

Jim Underwood
06-14-2009, 4:47 PM
Yeah, I got a big head.... Dunno if it's shaped funny tho! But, I agree that my head, funny or not, should not affect the way these nuts don't lock down the faceshield...:p

Any contact info for Trend? I've looked, but couldn't find any....:confused:

Jim Underwood
06-14-2009, 4:53 PM
I had same issues with that unit. Returned it and purchased 3m Airstream. It's pricey, but the best of all of them.

http://www.airwareamerica.com/3mhepaas400airstreamsystem.aspx

Does it make sense that this unit costs almost three times that of any comparable units?

I can't see how these things should cost this much.... You can buy nice vacuuum cleaners for less than this.:confused:

It makes me contemplate designing my own....

Ryan Baker
06-14-2009, 5:20 PM
I can mostly only repeat what has already been said. Mine only takes light finger pressure tightening the pivot screws to keep it in place. Sounds like something is wrong there. The weight is cumbersome at first, but it won't bother you before long. Adjusting the strap that goes over your head (adjusts how high it sits) makes a very dramatic difference in the comfort level. I had to change it a couple times before I found the right sopt. I'd try to let it sit as low as possible (and still fit you) to help with the weight. When I have the shield down, it is very close to my glasses, but does not touch them. The pivot locks and headband adjustments may help you find a fit that works better. Other than that, there isn't much you can do other than maybe smaller glasses frames. Don't give up yet. If you can get the glitches sorted out it will be worth it.

Alan Zenreich
06-14-2009, 7:44 PM
Trend USA Technial support
Tel. number 1 270 872 4674
Fax number 1 866 204 5441
Email sales@trend-usa.com (colet@trendm.co.uk)

Harvey M. Taylor
06-14-2009, 7:48 PM
Like most of the other posts, I worked thru my fitting problems. Tradition dictates you have the spindle at elbow height.That did not work for me. I raised my lathe spindle to 4 and a half inches above my elbow. That not only relieved the neck strain of tilting my head forward ever so slightly, my eyes were closer to the work, thus relieving the eye strain. It also balanced the weight of the shield on my head.As some have said, they are kinda pricey, but so is emphysema and lung problems.I dont put a price on good health. I am not nullifying the need to talk to trend about your fitting problems at all.Hopefully helpful, Max

Brian McInturff
06-14-2009, 8:22 PM
Jim,
One reason the Airstream cost so much is because of it being OSHA certified. Not that I agree with the price. Most things in the environmental field cost more because of that. The manufacturers know that on any environmental project you have to meet certain regs. One being that all Health and Safety items meet certain criteria. So until there is a competitor then they hold a monopoly. Unfortunately the Trend isn't in the same league as the Airstream.
I've not looked at the studies done to tell you how much difference there is mainly because I decided to buy the Airstream. Partially because of the weight issue. My neck wouldn't be able to handle wearing it for any length of time(fused discs). I'm hoping the Airstream will be much more balanced. The Airstream also puts out almost 10cfm continuous.
I'm not going to try and convince you either way, I'm just pointing out a few of the reasons for price difference that may not have been obvious. If you aren't satisfied with it I'd send it back, try another one, and if it still doesn't feel right then I'd look for some other alternative.

Jim Underwood
06-14-2009, 11:39 PM
I needed to go up and unplug the charger this evening, and took the opportunity to check the screws in the pivot.

I think the problem may be that the left hand side screw was stripped. I'll be calling Trend in the morning.

I may just replace the plastic screw with a steel one.

Thanks for all the input.