PDA

View Full Version : Wire size for new shop sub panel

Jim Ketron
08-21-2004, 6:22 PM
The free #2 al DB is not long enough:mad:
So I will get some copper and run conduit. I have tryed to look up wire size for a 100 amp panel. some say #4 some #3 some #2???
the run from the main house panel to the shop is 80'
any where to look this up to find out what size to run?
Jim

Dennis Peacock
08-21-2004, 6:58 PM
Jim,

As I have stated before....100 Amp service is 1 Aught service entrance cable. If you don't want to go that route, then run a #2 stranded copper which will get you pretty close....but....you may find that the cost will be about the same.

Depending on where you are and what codes are local to you? We have always been required to run 1 aught SEC for any 100 amp service or sub-panel.

I'm not trying to be smart with ya....just trying to help. People fight over wire sizes all the time and it makes no sense.....Too small a wire and you run the risk of a short or fire due to heat in the wire. I refuse to get in the wiring fight as many seem to poke at....as I go on what city inspectors, NEC code and safety requirements state. After all, I did not loose all my knowledge when I stopped being an electrician. :D

My route may not always be the most economical....but...you won't loose your house or shop due to an electrical fire either. :D