PDA

View Full Version : Best string trimmer for the lawn?

dennis thompson
06-13-2009, 11:11 AM
I have an Echo string trimmer for my lawn. I spend more time restringing the string thru the head than actually trimming. Can anyone recommend a string trimmer they're happy with?
Thanks
Dennis

Mark Patoka
06-13-2009, 11:37 AM
I have a Stihl FS45 that I'm very happy with. Had it for 2 or 3 years and really no problems with the string getting jammed and the auto-feed seemed to work well where I wasn't always having to tap it get more line out. The old WeedEater I had and the Craftsmen I was given always seemed to have string issues where I'd have to stop and unjam it to get it going again.

Brad Wood
06-13-2009, 11:38 AM
i've got a Craftsman 2 stroke brush cutter. it doens't take a spool, you put single strands in the head that are about 10" long, maybe 12".

I usually get one or two whack sessions out of one strand - I live on acreage, so one whack session is actually a lot of whacking.

In any case, I have no complaints and have had it for almost five years. The strings are easy to replace, just takes a minute. The pre cut replacement packs cost about $5 or so and one pack usually lasts me a season

I suppose if you are on a 7000 sq ft lot, this might be overkill and a bit noisy... but you didn't mention the environment where it will be used... so, just my .02

Steve Rozmiarek
06-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I have a Honda 4 cycle that works very well. It's an "industrial" type weedeater, so it's built a bit more robustly than the average consumer grade. If you're wacking thick weeds, not grass, try one of those saw blades that Honda and Stihl sell. Looks like a horrible idea, but they really work!

David Christopher
06-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Dennis, just buy a new head for the one you have. I went to lowes and got one of those that has one short string that goes through and put it on my homelite and it works perfect ....and it was only about 15 bucks

John Fricke
06-13-2009, 5:45 PM
I have a Poulan Professional........was really cheap.....always has started. I took the factory head off and installed one that takes 3 plastic blades. Works great on bigger weeds, not quite as good as a string on grass. One set of blades will last a long time if you keep them away from concrete.

Paul Greathouse
06-13-2009, 6:02 PM
My wife and son (yes I did say "wife" it was not a typo) have operated a sucessful lawn service for about 10 years now. They have about 25-30 regular customers. They use nothing but Stihl for their weedeaters, edgers and blowers.

Stihl is also pretty easy to change normal wear parts on when necessary. Parts are usually readily available at local lawn care shops.

I've also heard good things about Shindawa (did I spell that right?) and Red Max but never have used them.

Echo used to be good quality but since they started selling in the Home Depot their quality has gone down hill IMHO.

Michael Schapansky
06-13-2009, 7:53 PM
I use the Stihl combimotor for my 15 acres. It does a great job trimming-I actually look forward do doing it. Lots of power, though it is heavier than the Echo that I also had. I have the pole pruner too and it is also a pleasure to use.

Dave Lehnert
06-13-2009, 10:54 PM
I have an Echo string trimmer for my lawn. I spend more time restringing the string thru the head than actually trimming. Can anyone recommend a string trimmer they're happy with?
Thanks
Dennis

Not too sure what problem you are having with the head. Nothing special about Echo heads. They work the same as any other brand on the market. Not sure another brand is going to cure that problem for you. Like another said above just replace the head. Many aftermarket brands available to pick from.

That said I have owned an Echo for about a year and it works very well. Way more power than the Stihl I owned. In my case that Stihl trimmer was a POS.
I just purchased a Stihl chainsaw and that is a very, very well made tool.

Randal Stevenson
06-14-2009, 8:52 AM
I've had prewound heads, that were too tight, or they had made them just a bit too long (10 feet seems to be a common string size).

Mike Cutler
06-14-2009, 9:09 AM
Dennis

I've had an Echo string trimmer for quite a few years and it's a quality product. I suspect, that possibly the head is defective/worn, the replacement string is the wrong size and type, or the head is being rewound improperly.
The directions in the Echo manual seem to be a little counter intuitive to the direction printed on the head. It messed me up the first time or two and I had the same problem.
When you rewind the head do not let the individual strings cross over each other. Using your index finger keep the two strands seperated while winding them on. Also the little plastic "clip area" of the head, where the string is pressed into just prior to installing the head, may be worn and the string is unraveling before the head is actually in place.

I can tell you a funny story about a friend that put one of those "chain saw" cutting heads on his. He was weed whacking too close to the base of an above ground pool. The weed whacker caught and cut a perfect slice in the base of his pool.:eek:

Brent Smith
06-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Dennis,

I've had an Echo for a couple of years. At first I was running into the same problem. Now, I wind one groove at the time, starting with the bottom one. I make sure to wind it tight and to try, as much as possible, to keep the line from crisscrossing over itself in the groove. I also use a shorter length than the manual calls for. I stop winding as soon as the line reaches the bottom of the "clip divet". With these adjustments I've had no problem with the line binding. Oh, also stop cutting and check often that your line isn't getting less than 3-4" outside the head.

Chuck Saunders
06-14-2009, 1:38 PM
Stihl FS45 +1

Jim O'Dell
06-14-2009, 2:01 PM
Sounds like you need an Oregon trimmer head. You can get replacement bump and go units (I've never use one of these) or the one that uses precut, or cut your own, strips and slips in by hand. I just got one of these for my old McCulloch 2818. I toyed with the idea of replacing the whole trimmer, but I was able to get all the parts I needed, including the Oregon head, for about 50.00. Only problem is I thought one shroud had all the parts I need to replace broken items, but was wrong. I need an air box that costs $1.91, but takes $7.99 shipping to get it here. :(
You can look up which head your stringer takes here: http://www.oregonchain.com/OEP/oep_trimmer.htm Northern tool carries one model, not the one that fit mine:rolleyes:, and I think someone reported that they have free shipping going on right now. I got mine from Jacks Small Engines, along with a lot of other items, and the total shipping was 9.00, and their price on the trimmer head was $18.86 compared to $24.95 other places. Worthwhile if you need some other items. Jim.

Matt Meiser
06-14-2009, 2:04 PM
I put one of the heads on mine that uses pre-cut strings. I only use it a few times a year since I find it easier to mulch around trees and have arranged most of our beds around the house so that I can mow right up to them. And in some places I just don't worry about it. The precuts are definitely more expensive, but easy to deal with.

When I used to have to trim a creek bank, I used one of those heads with the plastic arms. They worked OK, but the long grass tended to get caught up in them and would wrap around the shaft.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-14-2009, 2:46 PM
Stihl FS45 +1

That is a good trimmer, but it is still 2 cycle IIRK?

Gary Redden
06-14-2009, 11:34 PM
I have been using a Stihl FS55r for the last 2 years and it works great. I did chage the autofeed head with one that uses cut string. I use .105 gator square in it and it cuts just about anything.

Gary

Chuck Saunders
06-15-2009, 8:33 AM
That is a good trimmer, but it is still 2 cycle IIRK?
You are correct

Mike Wilkins
06-15-2009, 9:25 AM
Have had a Troy Bilt string trimmer for about 3 years now and love it. String is easy to insert and works well. I have even stored it all winter long and it fired up on the first try this spring, and without putting Stabil in the tank. The air cleaner element fell off long ago, so a white athletic sock was installed in its place with a tie wrap. Looks funny but is effective. This is the 4 stroke model also.

Dan Mages
06-15-2009, 9:34 AM
I've been using a Toro battery powered trimmer for the past 5 years and it works perfectly.

Dave Lehnert
06-15-2009, 6:25 PM
Forgot to add this to my other post.
Echo makes this trimmer head that is easy to reload. Her is a link to the video.

http://www.echo-usa.com/videos.asp?Vid=UTurn

Mac McQuinn
06-17-2009, 7:57 PM
Stihl 45 +3

Just replaced the trimmer line and although instructions seem a bit confusing, everything went well and now i can do it in my sleep.

Also have small blower by Stihl and love it. Wish they made sno blowers and lawn mowers.....:)

Mac

curtis rosche
06-17-2009, 8:31 PM
we got an echo a year ago. we got it with the straight shaft, and we just attach the metal blades to it. it works around everything but boulders. you can use it around brick if you are careful

Steve Rozmiarek
06-18-2009, 1:59 AM
Stihl 45 +3

Just replaced the trimmer line and although instructions seem a bit confusing, everything went well and now i can do it in my sleep.

Also have small blower by Stihl and love it. Wish they made sno blowers and lawn mowers.....:)

Mac

That Stihl blower/vac is a fantastic machine.

Eddie Watkins
06-18-2009, 8:08 AM
I have a Stihl and have no problems. Several years ago I got tired of fighting with the string and starting my lasr weedeater and asked a guy who does commercial grandskeeping what he used.. Stihl was his answer. I've had no problems and it starts easy enough the LOML can start it, a real bonus.:D

Brian Elfert
06-18-2009, 10:14 AM
I have a Stihl FS45 also and it has worked great for seven or eight years now. I have to admit I have never had to replace the string yet. I'm careful and don't trim around fences or concrete.

Chris Harry
06-18-2009, 12:49 PM
My Stihl FS90 is one of the best purchases I ever made. Always starts on 3 pulls (2 for choke, 1 for final run), plenty of power, etc. Only wish is to upgrade it to a solid driveshaft so I can run brush cutting blades.

Ive been biased towards Stihl equipment for a while and their stuff has never done me wrong. Also helps that you are basically forced to buy from a dealer (higher price, but better service for sure) instead of big box.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-18-2009, 2:20 PM
Like Dan, I use cordless now. No more smelling like gas fumes and dealing with finicky 2-stroke motors.

Cordless trimmers have their issues. Mostly regarding battery life. For edging and trimming my residential lawn, they are nice. For clearing brush or used continuously as with a commercial landscaper, they are the wrong tool.

-Jeff :)

Dave Lehnert
06-18-2009, 9:40 PM
Stihl 45 +3

Mac

What model blower do you have.

Jim Becker
06-20-2009, 5:33 PM
Dennis, just buy a new head for the one you have. I went to lowes and got one of those that has one short string that goes through and put it on my homelite and it works perfect ....and it was only about 15 bucks

Exactly what I did with my Red Max. No more reels...just short pieces of "string" that are very easy and quick to replace if they wear or, umm...disappear... Although I didn't by the replacement head at the borg; rather, I went back to my local Stihl/Red Max dealer for the new head.

Mac McQuinn
06-22-2009, 7:39 PM
What model blower do you have.

Dave, Sorry for the delay, I have a BG56C. Starts on 2nd pull and light enough to take up on roof to blow leaves off and out of gutters.

Mac

Ron Jones near Indy
06-22-2009, 7:58 PM
I like my Black and Decker 18 volt cordless trimmer. Plenty of power and runs for the 30 minutes I need it to on one charge. Quiet, no gas to mix or spill--love it!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-22-2009, 8:05 PM
It's Stihl the one that gets it done!:D