PDA

View Full Version : Shelf slides for computer desk

Lee DeRaud
06-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I want to install a slide-out shelf just under the top of the left-hand bay of my computer desk, just a spot to put a notebook/coffee-cup/whatever when I have too much stuff on the main surface. It's for this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21433) desk, which now usually has a 49-key MIDI keyboard sitting in front of the monitor. the shelf in question would be about 12"x12" and needs to be relatively sturdy, since I don't want a mug full of coffee to come crashing down if I rest my elbow on it.

The slides I want:
1. full-extension (that bay is only about 13" deep)
2. can be locked when extended ("self-closing" is a bug in this application, not a feature)
3. are low-profile or better yet fully concealed, since the side/edge will be fully exposed when open (most of the time)
4. if not concealed, cannot have any exposed points or sharp edges, since my elbow will be right next to it when it's open

Blum Tandem (current leading contender) fail #2 (I think), plus I'm having trouble finding them in 12". Ditto for the Accuride equivalent (Eclipse?). The slides I used for my keyboard drawer fail #1 and #4 (but at least in that application the sharp edge faces away from me).

Any suggestions?

Jamie Buxton
06-13-2009, 12:49 PM
There are side-mount slides intended for your application. They have a detent in the fully-out position. For instance, KV has the 8414 series. (http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Drawer%20Slides/CatID/Drawer%20Slides%2C%20Full%20Extension%20Ball%20Bea ring/SubCatID/KV%208414%20Full%20Extension%20with%20Hold-Out%20Feature)

They'll pass requirements 1 and 2. To deal with 3 and 4, how 'bout putting a lip up on the sides of the shelf? Maybe the lips are as tall as the keyboard. They'd keep your hands off the slides. You could even put a top on the lip to extend over the slides.

Lee DeRaud
06-13-2009, 1:15 PM
There are side-mount slides intended for your application. They have a detent in the fully-out position. For instance, KV has the 8414 series.Thanks, that looks like a good candidate...and at a decent price too.

Not sure if it's what you meant, but it dawned on me that I could make the shelf itself the full width of the opening and mount the slide to some inset cleats underneath. It makes the whole slide-out portion thicker, but I've got plenty of vertical clearance to mess with if I move that subwoofer down to the bottom bay.

Jamie Buxton
06-13-2009, 1:30 PM
..Not sure if it's what you meant, but it dawned on me that I could make the shelf itself the full width of the opening and mount the slide to some inset cleats underneath...

That's kinda an upsidedown version of what I was thinking, but yours is a better solution. It gives you a complete flat deck, and gets the greasy slide member fully tucked out of touch.