PDA

View Full Version : My son is still alive.

David Freed
06-13-2009, 9:42 AM
I posted this on another forum a week ago, and I thought I would post it here also.

Our son has been in Iraq for a few months now. He was told to call my wife Friday afternoon (1 week ago) so we would not start hearing rumors. He started the conversation by telling her 2 or 3 times that he was ok. He was on patrol several hours earlier with some other guys (I don't know all the right terms) scanning the rooftops for snipers when he (thought) someone hit him on the head. He said it felt like someone took a big hammer and hit him hard. He first thought one of the guys was goofing around and he was mad. He turned around and nobody was close to him. That's when he realized he had just been shot. There was no cover around so he dropped to the ground, started crawling towards cover and yelled that he was hit. Two came to help him and the rest scattered trying to find the shooter. They didn't catch him.

Witnesses say that one man got out of a car with a camera and started filming as another got out with a rifle and shot him. My son is hoping they will put it on YouTube and he will get to see himself get shot. :rolleyes:

His helmet took about 99% of the hit and he only lost a big chunk of skin from the top of his head. He has been in the base infirmary since it happened and his head still hurts some.

He had quit going to church a few years ago when his best fiend was killed in an accident. He told my wife that he knew God had saved his life. I believe that too. This has made him start doing a lot of serious thinking. It sounds like this may be a turning point in his life.

Jim O'Dell
06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Glad he is ok. Odd how God gets our attention sometimes. Kudos to the maker of the head gear...sounds like there were no short cuts taken for better profits. Jim.

Ed Sallee
06-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Amen!

God Bless!

Mark Norman
06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Glad to hear he is ok Dave. My oldest son served in Iraq so I know what it is like to worry.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-13-2009, 12:13 PM
How very painful to have to ask such a question constantly.
I pray for his safe and whole return.

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 1:01 PM
Wow Im really glad to hear he going to be ok, not too many people can say they were shot in the head. The shooter must have known what he was doing too or it was just a fluke he hit him in the head. Hes a very lucky and blessed man for sure. I guess the Lord isnt through with him here yet!!

Don Abele
06-13-2009, 1:44 PM
David, having just recently returned from Iraq I am very happy to read that your son survived the attack. Believe it or not, we have more of these "successful" stories than those where we did not survive. The news doesn't like to publish those though - not sensational enough I guess. :(

Many of us in the military have higher power beliefs, especially when put into such dangerous environments because you want to have someone watching over you. In your son's case, someone definitely was, and I'm very thankful for it (as I'm sure you are as well).

As far as the helmet - our body armor (and vehicle armor for that matter) is really well engineered (especially the helmets). I've seen many take hits with the wearer suffering very little.

Your son and all those serving continue to have my prayers and best wishes for a safe return.

Be well,

Doc

Ken Fitzgerald
06-13-2009, 1:48 PM
David,

I'll keep your son and you and the rest of your family in my thoughts and prayers in the future.

Our oldest son ended up in Iraq during Desert Storm. Our youngest was on the USS Carl Vinson and they were turning into the Persian Gulf and watched the 2nd plane hit the 2nd Tower live on satellite tv. The ship got new orders and did a "U" turn. It came off the coast of Pakistan and they rained hardware on the Taliban in Afghanistan.

It's tough being a parent or spouse of someone serving in harms way. My thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

glenn bradley
06-13-2009, 2:51 PM
Now that'll be a story for the grandkids. Thank goodness he wasn't an inch or two one way or the other. Tell him we're all thinking of him.

scott spencer
06-13-2009, 2:55 PM
Awesome story....glad it has a happy ending.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-13-2009, 3:02 PM
Your family and son will be in my prayers David. Pass along my thanks for serving!

Phyllis Meyer
06-15-2009, 8:41 AM
David,

Your Son will be in our thoughts and prayers! Please tell him Thank You from our family for what he is doing over there!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Frank Hagan
06-15-2009, 12:42 PM
wow! My dad used to repeat the old line that there are "no atheists in foxholes", something he learned in Europe during a little war they had over there.

Pass along our thanks and prayers to him. I think its important we let these guys know that beyond our domestic political arguments, we love and respect those who are serving us.