PDA

View Full Version : crooked frog

Justin Cavender
06-12-2009, 10:57 PM
It seems like all of my old stanley planes has the frog setting in them crooked. How do I fix this I need advice from some of you sage fettlers.:)

Jim Koepke
06-12-2009, 11:25 PM
It seems like all of my old stanley planes has the frog setting in them crooked. How do I fix this I need advice from some of you sage fettlers.:)

I am not sure what you mean by this. If the plane of the frog where the blade sits is not perpendicular to the center line of the base from heel to toe, then loosening the frog screws and giving it a little rotational motion should do the trick for planes made before 1902. Those made after 1902 may require a little removal of metal from the frog where it hits the rib. If there is a frog adjusting screw, loosen it so the little plate can move freely. If possible try rotating the frog before getting out the file. Make sure your blade's edge is square to at least one side. Use this side to align the blade to the frog when trying it out. I like to have mine set so the lateral adjuster is close to centered when the blade is cutting even from side to side.

If you have a small square, check the back of the mouth for square. If this is not square, it doesn't matter too much, just knowing how out of square lets you know how to adjust for setting the frog using the mouth as a guide.

If the frog is crooked vertically, then you need to find out why and take care of that. It isn't too likely that this would happen with a lot of planes. Most likely, when your planes were last cleaned, the person doing the cleaning did not take care in reseating the frog.

I have a plane that may get the full treatment soon. Maybe I should take some pictures and put together a fettler's primer.

jim

Justin Cavender
06-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Okay They are all 1910 and newer If I adjust the frog flush with the back of the mouth one side is flush one side isnt ive tried prying it square while tightening the screws. But once the screws are tight it is back to crooked again.

Jim Koepke
06-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Okay They are all 1910 and newer If I adjust the frog flush with the back of the mouth one side is flush one side isnt ive tried prying it square while tightening the screws. But once the screws are tight it is back to crooked again.

OK, sometimes the screw on the back plate needs to be loosened so the frog can turn. It is supposed to move the frog back and forth, but can also cause it to not rotate. If this does not do the job, make sure there are washers under the frog hold down screws, sometimes tightening the screws can move things, so try tightening them just a little at a time. The washers are usually pretty soft and may have become dished. This could also have an effect on moving the frog while tightening.

If the above ideas do not help, then make sure the rib in the base casting is not pushing the frog out of square. If it is, take a flat smooth file to the inside of the groove in the frog on the side that is rubbing. Only take off as much metal as needed. This is cast iron so it will come off quick. If you take just the right amount off, removing and replacing the frog will be a quick operation.

You might want to remove the frog completely and make sure there is not a piece of wood or dirt causing the problem. It may also be a good idea to check for the frog seating solidly, it should not rock from corner to corner.

Hope this is helpful.

jim

Johnny Kleso
06-13-2009, 1:15 AM
If you mean the blade is skewed to the mouth a trip I learned is to remove the brass depth wheel and loosen the screw that holds the YOKE that fits over the frog adjusting screw.. The yoke works like a tiller on a boat and when the screw is loose you can skew the frog left of right..

I place a blade on the frog threw the mouth and run the adjuster up till the blade is square with mouth, lock the yoke and then set the bottm of the frog dead even with the back of the mouth using a small scale (ruler) to make sure its perfect..

John Keeton
06-13-2009, 7:13 AM
maybe i should take some pictures and put together a fettler's primer.
Jimyes!!!!!!!!

Ray Sheley
06-13-2009, 8:09 AM
Jim,
I would be interested in your Fettle process write-up.

Jim Koepke
06-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Jim,
I would be interested in your Fettle process write-up.

I guess I have stepped into it now.

OK, it will take awhile but I will get to it soon.

jim

John Keeton
06-13-2009, 3:44 PM
I guess I have stepped into it now.I'd say 'bout neck deep!

Ben Davis
06-13-2009, 6:35 PM
I have a plane that may get the full treatment soon. Maybe I should take some pictures and put together a fettler's primer.

jim

Jim,

I can't wait! If you're going to take the time to do this, please start it in a new thread so it can be added easily to the neader FAQ!