PDA

View Full Version : Tree on the house...

Don Carter
06-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Well, I got a lot of wood to cut and turn. A sixty foot or so hickory tree fell in my back yard tonight during a thunderstorm. It hit the back of my house and crushed the breakfast room where I used to make all the pictures posted here. As I write this it is still on my house with 4 tarps over the damage.
No one was hurt and we hope to get this thing cut up and off the house sometime this weekend.

On the bright side I will have bunches of hickory to turn, but it is going to be a while before I can get to it.;)

I'll try to post some pics after daylight tomorrow.

Richard Madison
06-12-2009, 11:05 PM
That's the spirit. How's that saying go, when life hands you "stuff", make compost for the garden. Good luck with the repairs, and work carefully.

Might be some turning wood available in the Austin area too after last night.

Greg Just
06-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Glad to hear no one was hurt. Make good use of the wood.

Dick Strauss
06-12-2009, 11:32 PM
That's the spirit...make that tree sorry it ever messed with you! ;)

David Hostetler
06-12-2009, 11:40 PM
That's the spirit...make that tree sorry it ever messed with you! ;)

You certainly seem to have the right attitude about the whole thing. And I couldn't have said it any better myself. Show that tree who's boss!

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Don - sorry to hear about the damage! I'm sure all you needed was one more challenge! Hope the house is repaired easily and cheaply! Look forward to seeing what you turn out of the wood that mother nature has thrown your way!

Glad to hear no one was hurt!

Paul Gallian
06-13-2009, 12:56 AM
I hope you get a friendly :rolleyes: insurance adjustor.

alex carey
06-13-2009, 1:24 AM
Always look at the glass half full, otherwise life sucks.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-13-2009, 5:29 AM
Don...glad nobody was hurt! Good luck with the removal.

neil mackay
06-13-2009, 5:57 AM
......are "its an ill wind that blows nobody any good" :)

Jeff Nicol
06-13-2009, 6:39 AM
Don, It is terrible that your home was damaged but a blessing that no one was hurt, the lathe too! So the half full part is the positve way to look at a bad situation. Take care and turn some wood directly from "MOTHER NATURE" !

Jeff

Ken Glass
06-13-2009, 7:47 AM
Don,
We are so thankful no one was hurt. You have the right attitude and you will have a story to tell with each turning you complete from the downed tree. Here's hoping your insurance is adequate.

Don Carter
06-13-2009, 9:49 AM
I have edited my original post with some pics. Got a tree service coming over this morning to start the process of getting this monster off the house.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. A good friend of mine is the insurance adjuster.;) My agent was over here last night within two hours of the tree falling. There is something to living in these small towns.

Thanks guys, I've got wood to cut.

Benjamin Dahl
06-13-2009, 10:00 AM
good luck Don. it seems that there have been some really nasty storms this year in the south. when I drive around Atlanta I see damage like that all over the place. glad you are looking at the positive side of having more wood.
Ben

Bernie Weishapl
06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Don sorry to hear about the damage but glad to see your spirits are up. Looks like lots of wood to turn for sure.

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 1:07 PM
Glad no one was hurt!! Make good use of the wood!! If you were closer Id give you a nice low estimate for fixing that!!

George Guadiane
06-13-2009, 6:43 PM
It's nice that you will have a lot of wood to turn, but is that REALLY the best way to get ti???
I'm really sorry about your house/home, and hope that you get things back right in short order.

alex carey
06-13-2009, 9:08 PM
Holy moly, those are some gnarly pictures. Glad no one was hurt. That is a big tree, atleast it will make for so me good turning.

Chip Sutherland
06-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Sorry we sent those storms to you from Texas. We escaped damage. When they rolled through my neighborhood, I was outside talking to a fireman who was supervising the utility company fixing a gas leak from Verizon's drilling. Some numbnut didn't mark the gas line. :eek: Funny how everybody took cover when the lightning kicked up.

Turn that hickory while it's wet. It's get harder when it dries. Really hard.

Marc Himes
06-14-2009, 6:38 PM
Wow! I am glad no one was hurt. What disruption! Here in upper Michigan we get some wind, but not many severe storms or tornadoes (mostly lots snow in the winter and a pitifully short summer). It looks like you have a beautiful place and I hope things go well with the repairs and new construction. Can you get a new shop out of the deal? I'll buy some hickory if you want to get rid of it.

Marc Himes

Nancy Laird
06-14-2009, 7:43 PM
Don, you're not far from my son's home in Oxford--they got hit pretty bad too, no trees on the house, but lots down around them and power off until 2 a.m. I had passed through that storm on I-40 in Arkansas about mid-afternoon as I was driving home from Tennessee. Lots of cars on the side of the road waiting out the rain, but no accidents that I saw.