PDA

View Full Version : Of saws and chisels

Bill Kapinski
06-12-2009, 8:43 PM
Hi all,

I am new here to posting, though I have been lurking a while, and yes I am power cord challenged.:) I have a few questions I could use some help with. I just got a 12 in Disston crosscut back saw and I need to have it sharpened. It is about 2 1/2 inches under the back. About 1/2 in has been sharpened away, is this getting to short to continue? I know I can put a new blade on it but at the price would I be better buying a new saw?

Secondly is anyone using the Two Cherries mortising chisels? If so do you like them? They are much less $$$ then the Lie-Nielsen's. I do know they come in metric, I use their bench chisels and I am used to that.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Eric Hartunian
06-12-2009, 9:24 PM
As long as the blade on that saw is straight, joint it and sharpen it. I think Tom Law (saw guru) said once that a saw that is getting narrow is a good saw, because it's owner liked it enough to keep sharpening it.
Two cherries makes a good product. I have some of their bench chisels, and they are quality tools. Bottom line, if you like them, sharpen them up and use them.
Eric

Robert Rozaieski
06-12-2009, 9:37 PM
As long as you don't plan on using it to do crosscuts in stock over 2-1/2" thick it will work just fine ;). Sharpen it up.

Franco Luna
06-12-2009, 9:42 PM
Very inteersting topic.....I'm also new with hand saws, so Ill be learning something new here.

I use a Hirsch Mortise chisel (16mm) from Lee Valley, I guess is the same company (Two cherrries~Kirsch with Hirsch)? is a good chisel, well balanced with a BIG handle, ideal for heavy duty work, the steel keeps the edge acceptably. One thing I have noticed is that the chisel shaft doesn't keep those 16 mm evenly: the section near the edge is 15.5mm and the back section is 14.75 mm.

David Gendron
06-12-2009, 9:56 PM
Welcome Bill,

As for your saw, I don't think the blade is too narrow, And if you think of doing the work your self, it will be realy cheep! If you don't want to do it your self, the best one to do the work, IMO, is Mark @ Technoprimitive. And for the chisels, I use the Ray Ilse pig stickers, but if you are allready use to Two Cherries, I don't see why it wouldn't work for you! The only thing I don't like about them, is the size of the handle, that is unusualy large!!

Jim Koepke
06-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Bill,

Welcome to the Creek, jump right in the water is fine.

Your saw is plenty big enough for most dovetail work. It would not be hard to sharpen it to a rip tooth profile.
I am not a great saw sharpener, but I am getting better. To learn saw sharpening, you have to start doing it.

Here is one site that has a lot of good information:

http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=main&right=/library/library.html

Here in Neanderthal Haven there is a thread at the top of the list, Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs. Inside that thread are a lot of links. Scroll though the first post and you will find a couple about saws.

Good luck and ask 'em if you've got 'em.

jim

Bill Kapinski
06-13-2009, 8:54 AM
Thanks for the tips. I kind of thought with that much blade gone it was a "loved" saw. I will be sending it to Technoprimitive for sharpening. I want to learn how to sharpen but not on this saw.

Franco, Thanks for the insight on the chisels. I am not sure if varying thickness is a good thing or not. I found an online store, European hand tools, that sells the Two Cherries chisels with the big handle and then also know with the handle on their bench chisels.

Bill