PDA

View Full Version : Not all Plywood is the same

Curt Harms
06-12-2009, 7:29 PM
I debated whether to add this to the thread about plywood vs. solid and decided to start a new thread instead rather than hijack it. Yeah, I know this is kinda stating the obvious but I had my first experience with Non-BORG plywood and oh my, what a difference. SWMBO wanted a "broom closet" so I made a few calls to non-borg sources. I was looking for flat sawn red oak trying to match the existing kitchen cabinets. Existing are builders boxes and probably aren't too bad considering. The cabinet doors look like raised panel but aren't, there's no end grain where there should be. Probably composite panels with some sort of veneer. Anyway, I found Industrial Plywood in Reading which wasn't too far away. Got 5 sheets of this
last fall for $70/sheet. Flat sawn red oak on one side, birch on the other. I'm not positive about the origin but I'm pretty certain it is either US or Canada. There was printing on the edge but it wasn't well done and was hard to read. It wasn't true 3/4 but rather 18mm, I think, .72"-.73". Yes the thickness was within .01" everywhere I checked. The nice part is that it was 97" long and 48 1/2" wide so there can be a couple saw kerfs taken out and there's still 4 full 2X4 panels or whatever, not nominal size minus saw kerfs. I also picked up a sheet of 3/8" birch for the back. They all spent the winter in the garage stacked on edge clamped together. SWMBO wondered how crooked they'd be this spring. They weren't, they were as flat as when I brough 'em home. I rigged up a way to cut them in half longways and went to work. Virtually NO voids, no warping, no splintering. Life is good:).
SWMBO's happy, I'm happy, well worth a few extra bucks. Thanks for looking.

Curt

Peter Quinn
06-12-2009, 7:40 PM
Glad to hear another happy user of quality sheet goods. Borg plywood is everything people say it is: JUNK.

So if you need some junk, it might be just the thing. Otherwise, it is a false economy of the worst kind. I'm not guessing, I've tried it.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-12-2009, 7:45 PM
I find it amazazing (sorry watched Benchwarmers last night) that their cabinet grade plywood has voids......

Steve Jenkins
06-12-2009, 7:49 PM
You're right. If you have only gotten ply from the borg you haven't seen real plywood.
I'm guessing that the stuff you got is mdf core since it is 49x97.
I'm very fortunate here as I have a manufacturer in Dallas that I used to be in partnership with and buy all my panel products from him.
You might check out www.woodgallery.biz to see what is available above and beyond the typical veneers.

Peter Kuhlman
06-12-2009, 8:45 PM
I purchased some "cabinet grade" oak veneer plywood from a local dealer that sells primarily to commercial purchasers - cabinet shops. They sell roughsawn hardwood and ply. I paid I believe about $80 a sheet. Had no markings that showed country of manufacture. Looked nice. Started cutting it up and found voids occasionally JUST under the outer veneer. A few panels I did rough cuts on and left sitting for a week or so started to delaminate badly sitting flat on my bench. Could not take it back as had it too long. Managed to salvage most of the delaminating stuff by injecting glue and clamping. Next time, will obviously purchase elsewhere. Really getting hard to find quality ply.

Curt Harms
06-13-2009, 2:51 AM
You're right. If you have only gotten ply from the borg you haven't seen real plywood.
I'm guessing that the stuff you got is mdf core since it is 49x97.

Veneer core. I wasn't even aware of the of the difference until I measured 24" to split the sheet and the line didn't look quite centered.

Steve Mellott
06-13-2009, 2:19 PM
Don't assume that all plywood from the lumber yard is better than the plywood you buy at Lowes or Home Depot. In Atlanta, lumber yards sell multiple grades - some better and some worse. Last time I bought some plywood (3 weeks ago), the lumber dealer told me that their biggest seller was the cheapest grade (China birch). Personally, I think the lumber dealer's 3/4" China birch ($42 retail rate) is inferior to the 3/4" birch plywood sold by our local HD ($42 retail rate). Of course, you can pay more at the lumber yard and get better quality - you just need to know what you are buying.

Steve