PDA

View Full Version : powermatic model 81

John Durkin
06-12-2009, 4:44 PM
whats this saw worth? I found one missing a table and wjredmond has replacment tables for around 250. Would this be a good saw for around 500.00 It has a 3 phase on it. So for around 750-1000 bucks total. Any of you old salts advice on what to look at when inspecting this machine would be of great help.

Thanks
John

Paul Steiner
06-12-2009, 9:10 PM
I would say it is worth it. I know 2 people that have an 81 both paid above $1000 used. I would make sure everything spins easily and true. Seeing it run would be good, if possible.

Simon Dupay
06-13-2009, 4:34 PM
The 81 is a heck of a saw. The shop in high school had one and was just solid, at least take a look at it.

John Durkin
06-19-2009, 5:11 PM
Well look what followed me home. Still not sure its worth it but what the heck.

Couple of questions. Is that a phase converter so i can hook it up to 220? 110? I need more info about that if anyone knows.

Many more questions to follow as there are some missing parts, table, fence, miter gauge, ect.

Do you think I can make a table out of wood for this?

Thanks
John

John Durkin
06-19-2009, 5:47 PM
here are more

John Durkin
06-19-2009, 5:49 PM
does anyone know where that big plate in the first picture goes too?

Chris Padilla
06-19-2009, 6:02 PM
Well I am glad you posted pics because I thought this might be another Table Saw from PM I had not heard of! What is the size of the bandsaw?

As for a table, you might give a shout to the guy(s) at Quality Grinding...see the Manuf. forums.

John Durkin
06-19-2009, 6:03 PM
:) shes a proud 20"

Pete Bradley
06-19-2009, 6:04 PM
You've got yourself a project. I'd start by getting a parts diagram such as this one: http://www.owwm.com/pubs/655/819.pdf to see what's missing/broken besides the table. Make a list. Add to that list tires, bearings all 'round, and a set of belts. A $1K finished cost wouldn't be too far out of line for this model, if it looks like you'd have to go way over consider parting it out.

Sign up for the forum on www.owwm.org (http://www.owwm.org) also, there's a wealth of information there. You can also place ads for the parts you need.

Some old band saws had wood tables, and I think plywood or melamine would be a good temporary solution, but you're going to want cast iron long term. There's a bunch of other work to do though so I wouldn't focus on the table until you get the basic mechanics and missing parts sorted out.

The biggest expense besides the table will be making it run on single phase power. If you want to run the motor you've got and it's under 3HP, look at VFDs. If you want to convert to single phase, that starter is ok up to a 1.5HP, which would be workable for hobbyist use on this machine. Otherwise, add a starter to your list.

Good luck!

Pete