PDA

View Full Version : Got my copy of X4 today!

Stephen Beckham
06-12-2009, 4:36 PM
Well, after many flip-flops, it came in today.

Had a few problems getting it to install (99% sure it's the laptop, not the X4). Restarted laptop and it installed correctly the second time around. :rolleyes:

Spent the day catching up to the new/different/pretty icons that replaced the old ones (not sure what was wrong with the paint brush or the eraser etc...):confused:

Started noticing small nuances (notice how closely that's spelled to nuisances) for instance the thumbnails in my directories diplay better idea of what's in the X4 files than the X3 directories displayed. I liked that, but did I tell you they changed all the icons?

First thing was to go through the customizing again - then I went in and deleted all those pesky page sizes for German and Japanese papers. A lot easier to swap between the four sizes I use now.

I really like the trace updates. Played with lots of documents that we scanned in the past and I sat there hand drawing them, recalled the original images and ran the trace on them... Darn, that was a lot quicker than I did it and with close to similar results. :eek: Well, enough of that, it's making me wish I'd gotten it sooner.

Bottom line - Is it something I would have bought without the upgrade? Don't think so for the cost - do believe so for the shortcuts added - yet - it's growing on me after a day already. I'm just glad it was offered as a free upgrade with my last purchase of software.

Anyway - just thought I'd drop my two cents on the upgrade.

Scott M Smith
06-12-2009, 9:00 PM
I have only used X4 and I am still learning it, but a friend recommended Adobe Illustrator and I like Corel better.

Scott Challoner
06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Anybody know when X5 will be out? It seems X4 has been around for awhile now. I read an interesting comment on this forum once that odd versions of DRAW are less buggy/better than even numbered ones. I have no idea if this is true, but I'm going to wait until X5 anyway.

Not trying to burst your bubble Stephen. Glad you like it.

Stephen Beckham
06-15-2009, 9:14 AM
Without warning, all those pages I deleted, were back this morning. Seems like the software reset itself like someone booted it with the F8 key pressed...

Who knows what else it's done... Still liking it, just keeping my open for more surprises.

Well, dog-gonnit.... There's another surprise - all my defaults appear to have gone back to factory settings... I hope I did it and didn't realize it - if I adjust these settings and come back next Monday to defaults again, I'll start having second thoughts....

Lisa Griffiths
06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Anybody know when X5 will be out?

Now don't hold me to this :D but I heard something at a seminar I just attended about X5 coming out in January 2010 .

Scott Challoner
06-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Now don't hold me to this :D but I heard something at a seminar I just attended about X5 coming out in January 2010 .

Thanks Lisa.

Randy Walker
06-16-2009, 8:19 PM
I bought Corel X4 a couple of months ago, to go with the vls230 that I bought. I have never used a graffic program before so I don't have anything to compair it to but I do find one thing rather annoying. It puts back-ups of everything that I save in my file along with the file that I want to keep. Don't get me wrong I like to have back-ups of my files but only when and where I choose not on every thing that I do and in the same file.

Bill Cunningham
06-16-2009, 11:43 PM
you can turn back-ups off if you wish, but you may kick yourself a little later.. I just delete the backups when the job is done, and I'm sure I won't need it anymore.. They've saved my butt a few times now..