PDA

View Full Version : Qustion on a new lathe

Jim McMillan
06-12-2009, 2:34 PM
To start out, I have no experience turning. I'm looking at getting a lathe, and I'm trying to decide on which one to get. I know the for right now, I wont be doing anything larger than pens, bowls, and other small things. However, I would eventually like to turn large things, like table legs, and maybe large bowls and vessels. I have narrowed down my selection to two completly different machines.

The first is the Rikon mini lathe. http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=832637&FamilyID=5508. As far as I can tell, it is a good machine, with one person actually favoring it over his Jet. Since it's only 1/2HP, I would'nt get the extension, since I might be too tempted to turn larging things, increasing the likelyhood that I'd burn out the motor.

The second is the Grizzly G0462 lathe. http://grizzly.com/products/Wood-Lathe-With-Digital-Readout/G0462. This is a full size machine, with 16" swing, a rotating headstock, and a 2 HP motor. Getting this means I should'nt have to upgrade down the road.

For either lathe, I would need tools and a chuck for turning bowls and such, so I'm discounting the cost of those, to make it more even. Also, space is not a concern, since I have a nearly empty two car garge with all my tools on one wall, so that should'nt be a factor. I guess the question I'm asking here is, wether it's worth it to spend a little more money, and get the full size, or if I should try and learn on a small one, then step up to the big boy? Any advice or or experiences you could share would be great.

P.S. If you guys have any qustions, I wont be able to answer them for a while, since I'm going out of town this weekend, but I should be able to get to them sunday evening. Thanks!

Bill Bolen
06-12-2009, 3:27 PM
The min speed on the grizz is way to fast at 600. The Rikon has a great rep and should serve you well especially with the woodcraft sale going on right now...Bill...

Don Eddard
06-12-2009, 4:02 PM
The Rikon would get my vote, too. The variable speed in the Griz lathe is a Reeves drive, and they can be a pain to keep working right. Plus as Bill mentioned, it doesn't go slow enough. Lastly, the tool rest on the Griz looks way too flexible to be of much use. It'll be vibrating like one of those 25 cent motel beds.

If you were going to spend that amount of money, I'd suggest a VS Jet mini or their 1220 midi lathe. The Rikon is also well regarded, and it's enough cheaper to allow you a few extras like tools and sharpening equipment.

Roger Wilson
06-12-2009, 4:07 PM
...I have narrowed down my selection to two completly different machines...

Have you looked at the new Delta lathe (46-460) ? Also since you plan on doing larger bowls have you looked at the Nova 1624 ? They are both more expensive then the two you mention so they maybe outside your budget at the moment.

Here is a product and product video page for the new Delta lathe:
http://www.deltaportercable.com/lathes/midi_lathe.html

Chip Sutherland
06-12-2009, 4:56 PM
but get some lathe instruction first, it's priceless, and get a small used lathe. I turned 9.75" bowls on my Jet Mini (no VS). If that's not big enough for you now, then you'll know to step to a machine with a bigger swing but more important bigger HP. Regardless, you want a bigger, better machine in no time so start with a good used machine and put the bucks into your tools, chucks, etc. My second machine was a Jet 14"/1.5HP reeves drive and I never, ever had any problems. My skills improved immensely to the point that I could honestly say that I needed a bigger better machine with variable speed and reverse. So now I have my 3rd and it's a PM/Mustard Monster. I wish I'd skipped my Jet Mini because I upgraded 5 months after buying it. It's now my buffing station and I still use it for some turning, too. The Jet 1220 wasn't available when I was looking but seems to be a fine machine.

My 2 cents

alex carey
06-12-2009, 5:29 PM
I'd go for the Jet if you can, if not, go for the Rikon. I think it's a pretty good idea to start on a 12" machine. Just to make sure you really enjoy turning...which you will.

curtis rosche
06-12-2009, 6:00 PM
theres this man i knoe named Mark Norman. he sells lathes for cheap

Gordon Seto
06-12-2009, 6:17 PM
If you want full size lathe, IMO, the entry level is the Nova 1424. It doesn't have electronic variable speed. It is difficult to find anything worth recommending under that price range. They all have major short comings. Avoid the Grizzly G0462. Grizzly has good reputation on other woodworking machines; their lathes are not among them.
A mini or a midi is a good starter. We love them so much, a lot of us still keep our minis.

Steve Bistritz
06-12-2009, 6:25 PM
I had found a 46-450 full size Delta lathe from the 60's for $450.00 on craigslist ( hope its ok to mention that). Its cast iron and doesn't budge.If you are patient you can find almost anything on there, you just have to jump when it shows up because if its nice its gone...I put it on a VFD because it had a three phase motor and its the greatest. I just dial in the speed I want, when I want...Happy hunting!

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2009, 6:32 PM
I would look at the new Delta Midi or the Jet 1220. Both have variable speed, will turn 12" (well around 11 3/4"), and the Jet has a 3/4 hp motor, the Delta has a 1 hp variable speed if I remember rightly.

Mark Norman
07-04-2009, 2:11 PM
theres this man i knoe named Mark Norman. he sells lathes for cheap

LOL,
Well, I don't sell em but with a little ingenuity anyone can build one.

Roger Alexander
07-04-2009, 3:12 PM
I have a Fisch and that is the same as the Rikon. I also teach on this little lathe and use it to take out to demo with. Sorry the Jet 1642 is just to heavy and large to take out. My Fisch is a belt drive on 5 pullies and also a 1/2 HP motor. Never have had any problems with it and the slow speed is like a VS and can only go down to 480 RPM.

Scott Hurley
07-04-2009, 8:56 PM
The Rikon is a great lathe - especially considering the price. One of the woodworking magazines (Wood or Fine Woodworking, I can't remember which) said that Rikon is selling a Cadillac for a Chevy price. It's a nice solid machine which can't beat for the price.

Scott

Christopher Fletcher
07-04-2009, 9:21 PM
The question is not really an apples to apples comparison. The rikon is a solid midi lathe with bed and swing limitations. The griz is a cheap full size lathe. Now while you have 2hp and a 16" swing on the griz, you're running it on 110V at 600 rpms which is way too fast and drawing too much power. I have a griz, and I am all too familliar with it's limitations. The tool rest is too thin, and the lathe itself will walk all over your shop before you even come close to the swing limit. I would pass on the grizz and save some extra $ for a lathe that is....well, more. More weight, solid parts, good reputation, etc. Having said all that. I would recommend either a mini jet or rikon if that size suits you. Otherwise pickup a larger used lathe on craigslist until you figure out what you really enjoy turning. If stoppers and pens are your thing than a midi is all you need. If platters and hollow forms do it for you than you need something more solid than that grizz. Grizzly does offer a beefier lathe, but frankly I think right now Nova, Jet, and Rikon still have grizz's number for lathes.

C.