PDA

View Full Version : Jet SuperSaw Sale?

John Adam
06-12-2009, 1:47 PM
Has anyone else seen this ad?

1 3/4 HP may be a bit low, but I'm using a Delta contractor saw now and this seems like a very inexpensive upgrade.

Includes a sliding table...

Thoughts?

Ron Bontz
06-12-2009, 3:13 PM
Save your money for a real cabinet saw 3hp or 5hp. Sometimes you can come across a good deal on a used Uni. etc. Especially since people are wanting to buy the Sawstop these days. It's just a question of time and patience. :)

John Adam
06-12-2009, 3:19 PM
Thanks! At some point I have to give up on the dream of something for nothing!

Matt Benton
06-12-2009, 3:19 PM
I agree with Ron. Not only would I not spend the money on this saw, I think new is usually overrated when it comes to tablesaws. Find a lightly used cabinet saw that is fully functional for 60%-70% of new, and you'll be set...

Prashun Patel
06-12-2009, 3:34 PM
I sometimes with I had a cabinet saw. But I gotta say, this is a good buy for the money. I have a Jet Hybrid (Proshop JPS10) and I'm extremely happy with it.

1 3/4 isn't as wimpy as you might think. I can rip 3" walnut and oak without even bogging the motor down - and that's on 110v. Gotta use the right blade for that, though.

IMHO, a saw should be bought for it's accuracy and ease of alignment. Those are the keys to success. Power can be compensated for.

For the same $$ I'd rather have a hybrid with an aftermarket mitergauge and blade guard than a bottom of the line cabinet saw with mediocre everything.

Paul Ryan
06-12-2009, 3:49 PM
Thats a good deal for a nice new saw. Don't worry about the 1 3/4 hp it will cut everything you through at it if you use a good sharp blade. But as others have said for that price there are better used saws out there for less $$$ if you are willing to wait. If not will to wait buy it I am sure you will love it.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/tls/1218392629.html

Here's and example of a equal saw for less money. I cant say better because it is used probably 10-15 years old, but bigger table, fence and motor. And I am sure it can be had for less than the asking price. My bad though it is a 3 phz

chris dub
06-12-2009, 4:30 PM
It looks like we are staring to see more of the non-riving knife hybrids get cleared out. This Jet is now sub $900, There have been posts about the zipcodes being cleared out from Sears. The DW746 on Amazon is ~$700. The steel city Hybrid is ~$700. As a hobyist that doesn't get a ton of shop time I'm fine with the trade offs between a 1 3/4HP Hybrid vs a used cabinet saw, if it means I don't have to search around craigslist find a truck and go pick up a 500# saw and bring it back home. When I can get a nice new hybrid brought to my house on my schedule for the same price.

scott spencer
06-12-2009, 5:06 PM
1-3/4hp shouldn't be a problem, and the 52" fence, and the slider are nice features. However, the trunnion system on this saw is not the same as the Jet Proshop, so there's not really a direct comparison. It's essentially contractor saw trunnions with the motor moved inside the cabinet.

The “new & improved” Super Saw seemed overpriced when they introduced it. It's the successor to the original Super Saw hybrid that had a few well documented issues, and was seen as a 2nd fiddle to the then new DeWalt DW746 hybrid. I can’t recall seeing any posts from anyone who’s actually purchased this version of the saw up to now, which supports my opinion that it was priced too high initially.

$895 shipped seems like a nice deal…great fence, 52” rip, sliding table, full enclosure, heavy, etc., but there are a couple of things worth considering before jumping aboard. This is an older hybrid format that uses table mounted trunnions and connecting rods as an arbor carriage. All other hybrids except for the current Delta use either cabinet mounted trunnions with either a one-piece cast arbor carriage or the connecting rods, or table mounted trunnions with the one-piece cast arbor carriage (the Jet Proshop and Workshop saws included). That’s not to say that this trunnion design will be a problem, but it has fewer advantages over the alternatives. It also still uses a unique belt system to raise and lower the blade…the original Super Saws had issues with that design, but they’ve supposedly worked out the bugs with it.

$895 shipped would have me intrigued if I were in the market for a 120v saw, but I would research potential issues with the trunnion design before buying.

Chris Kennedy
06-12-2009, 7:26 PM
I can't speak specifically to this saw -- I don't know much about it.

As for 1.75 hp -- I have ripped 8 feet 6/4 hard maple through my 1.75 zip code both regularly and at a 30 degree bevel. It didn't even balk with the stock blade on the saw (a Leitz -- which is a decent blade).

When I bought my hybrid, a cabinet saw would have been nice. Still would. Better yet would be the 220 volt circuit that it needs. Shame I can't have one. Oh well -- I'll just have to make do.

If the saw is good -- go for it.

Cheers,

Chris

John Adam
06-12-2009, 7:51 PM
you guys are awesome, thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll wait for a PM on CL....

Jason White
06-13-2009, 6:24 AM
Ditto what Ron said!

Save your money for a real cabinet saw 3hp or 5hp. Sometimes you can come across a good deal on a used Uni. etc. Especially since people are wanting to buy the Sawstop these days. It's just a question of time and patience. :)