PDA

View Full Version : Rabetting technique

Augusto Orosco
06-12-2009, 1:04 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but being a newbie, I would like to know the answer to the following: When making a rabbet with a dado, the edge of the board to be rabetted runs on the fence side (which of course, requires a sacrificial fence). Why so? Why is this preferable to simply running the board against the fence on the edge opposite the rabbet? Prevents chip out? Accuracy when determining the width of the rabbet?

glenn bradley
06-12-2009, 1:19 PM
This is only an opinion but I feel more in control if I am guiding the edge being cut. If you run the opposite side against the fence, ANY deviation from parallel on the two edges will be transferred to your dado and therefor to the piece that seats in it. I'm less than perfect often enough to not want to add variables to the mix ;-)

Tom Esh
06-12-2009, 2:43 PM
Two reasons:
1) You can cut the same dado in boards of different widths without changing the TS setup.
2) Like Glenn said, if the board pulls away from the fence during the cut, it won't widen the dado and trash the piece. You simply run it through again to cleanup the dado.

Augusto Orosco
06-12-2009, 3:13 PM
Tom and Glenn, thanks for the explanation; it makes sense!

Lee Schierer
06-12-2009, 3:18 PM
Two reasons:
1) You can cut the same dado in boards of different widths without changing the TS setup.
2) Like Glenn said, if the board pulls away from the fence during the cut, it won't widen the dado and trash the piece. You simply run it through again to cleanup the dado.

Reason # 3: With the sacrificial fence the dado blade is completely covered during the cut so the chips go down under the table. If it is to the left of the piece being cut, part of the dado is exposed where you could accidently touch it and it will let chips fly in your face during the cut.

Rod Sheridan
06-12-2009, 6:01 PM
Reason # 3: With the sacrificial fence the dado blade is completely covered during the cut so the chips go down under the table. If it is to the left of the piece being cut, part of the dado is exposed where you could accidently touch it and it will let chips fly in your face during the cut.

#1 reason for an overarm guard.........Rod