PDA

View Full Version : cabinet drawer cheat opinions

Brett Nelson
06-12-2009, 12:54 PM
When a raised panel drawer front is too short. What's your preference and WHY?

Make the top and bottom rails narrower.
Convert to flat panel.
Convert to slab.

Also, for those who prefer to make the rails narrower, what if the drawer is next to a door with standard rails. Do you just deal with the imbalance?

Nate Carey
06-12-2009, 1:00 PM
Make another (correct size) drawer front. 'Cause it's the easiest thing to do...

glenn bradley
06-12-2009, 1:40 PM
I'm with Nate. Building a new one is often easier than fixing a wrong one (and this applies to much more than drawer fronts).

Jay Brewer
06-12-2009, 1:54 PM
I believe he's talking about openings that are to short for standard rail and stile widths.

I build 6" raised panel drawer front all the time. I use 2.5" for the stiles and 1.25 for the top and bottom rails. This leaves about 1.5" of "flat" on the panel for knobs. Any smaller than 6" tall, and I would switch to a flat panel or just a slab drawer front. Hope this helps

Brett Nelson
06-12-2009, 2:17 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

Jay,

On a 3 drawer base do you decrease the rails on all 3 drawers, or just the top one?

frank shic
06-12-2009, 3:15 PM
you can do it either way, brett.

Jay Brewer
06-12-2009, 5:42 PM

Jay,

On a 3 drawer base do you decrease the rails on all 3 drawers, or just the top one?

On a 3 drawer bank, I treat the bottom two fronts like a regular RP door ( 2.5" rail and stiles.) They usually end up around 8" to 9" tall. This makes the panel height about the same size as the top drawer front that uses 1.25" rails. I can try to find a picture of one I have done if that will help.

glenn bradley
06-12-2009, 6:01 PM

Sorry, I'm a dork.