PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Rotary Shrinking Image

James Stokes
06-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Has any one figured out why the Epilog rotary shrinks the image when you try to use it? I have been trying to engrave a spy glass, My image is 1.5 inches wide. Every time I run it it shrinks down to 3/4 wide. I have tried everything from adjusting the DPI, slowing the speed down running the image as clipart and photograph. Nothing changed. I finally streched the image to 3 inches wide and got a 1.5 inch engraving. It was a little distorted but not much. I very seldom use the rotary because of that.

Daniel Muller
06-12-2009, 11:00 AM
There must be something with the settings. I use my rotary attachment more than i would like and never have an issue. only is the glass is tapered that the image will shrink. For instance if I do a circle on a pint glass I have to dra an oval to get it to come out as a circle.

Dan Hintz
06-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Did you enter the object's radius or diameter? Entering the wrong value would make an image half (or twice) the size...

James Stokes
06-12-2009, 2:10 PM
No there is no place to enter object size. I have my page size set correctly. I can not figure out why it is shrinking though.

Real Mercier
06-12-2009, 4:07 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111973&highlight=rotary

Check out the above thread and see if this helps.

Richard Rumancik
06-12-2009, 10:17 PM
James, have you not gone back to Epilog with this issue? They should be able to solve it best. It's possible that there is a hardware problem - they should be able to troubleshoot it quickly.

Stephen Beckham
06-13-2009, 8:03 AM
James,

I'm not sure what causes it either, but I've got a suspicions...

I recently did 200 shot glasses. All looked to be the same size and shape. Each had a bit different bottom on the inside where the glass settled. Out of the 200, a dozen or show gave the incredible shrinking image. The others were 100% fine.

Being that 98% were good, I looked away from the rotary or the laser and focused on me and the glasses. Uneducated conclusions:

Don't let the glass ride against the black zero point - rim of glass could be slightly different shape or have bumps. Light objects can slip as it is, and having a bit of friction on the rim might cause slippage or stoppage while rotating.
Don't be sloppy with water on glass (for my paper towel). Back wheels didn't seem to bother, but front might again cause slippage
Don't be excessive with papertowel. Again didn't seem to much effect on the back wheels, but at the front wheels, the paper can change surface contact with driven wheels.
Eliminate all blank spaces in image. New driver does a better job of not jumping between etching, but I still make sure I don't give it any reason to jump.
I know you may not be having these issues with your spy glass but I figured I'd try to type them all as I guesses to see if they might jar something loose in your grey-matter to see if something similar could be causing your problem.

James Stokes
06-13-2009, 9:57 AM
Before I used the rotary the O rings were cracked and dried out. I replaced all o rings. I tried the Spyglass several times against the back stop, Shrinkage. The spyglass had a knurled ring on the end. I thought that might be touching so I put that ring on the rubber orings That should have given maximum traction. Made no differance. I did quite a few dry runs with the door open and they looked like were turning the way they were supposed to. Ever time I tried with door closed and laser on the image shrank.