PDA

View Full Version : Shop Smith work table flexes

Richard Dooling
06-12-2009, 9:12 AM
OK - this is directed to the Shop Smith users. There is a thread going about drill presses but I didn't want to hijack it.

I inherited a Shop Smith and though I would not use it as a table saw :eek: it does some things pretty well. My biggest issue is the flexing of the table. This is especially noticeable in drill press mode with larger bits. It's a great disc sander also but this is another place where I see the table flex.

Any thoughts on this?

Lee Schierer
06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Shopsmith's use a lot of aluminum for tables. It is a well known fact that aluminum is light weight but what most people including many designers forget is that it is also flexible and will flex under a load. There is probably not much you can do except be aware that it is happening and compensate for it.

Mike Heidrick
06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Need sharper drill bits maybe?

Ron Jones near Indy
06-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Are you using the legs to support the drill table? They support the edge of the table nearest the operator. They make a lot of difference in DP performance.

Richard Dooling
06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Sorry. I’m not familiar with legs for the table. I assume these are accessory items?

I have thought about making something to support the outside edge of the table and think that would help a lot.

Thanks

Mark Koury
06-12-2009, 2:09 PM
Welcome to the ShopSmith world! Several years ago I suggested to them that if they would sell a steel or iron table with a beefed-up undercarriage I would be more than happy to buy it. I think they thought I was crazy! I wish someone would make one.

That table flex is my biggest problem with this machine. I have one but now hardly ever use it except for occasional turning or horizontal drilling. I just about killed mine years ago while trying to use the mortising attachment. That puts real pressure on the table!

As already said, the legs do help and they are not that difficult to set up.

Dave Lehnert
06-12-2009, 6:21 PM
My guess you have a model 500/505 that does not have the legs.
http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/images/AnvMarkVGlamour6.gif

The model 510 and 520 has the leg set.

http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/images/01_Model510.jpg

One feature of the Shopsmith is everything, regardless of age, can be upgraded to the new model. Just not cheap. Remember it is American made in Dayton Ohio by less than 20 employees. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/500to510.htm

You would not want a main table made out of cast iron or steel. Remember the table has to be lifted off and on and a table that size would be a bear to lift.
Use sharp bits and let the bit do the work. No need to ram it through. I have used a Shopsmith for over 20 years. Can't figure out how other woodworkers use a standard drill press for wood working. All them belts to change around and no miter slot to clamp jigs. (Just had to add that because us SS users sure get jumped on:D)

Richard Dooling
06-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks everyone.

You are right Dave I have an older machine.

I'm thinking of a couple of ways to address this. If I have a revelation I'll let you know.:cool:

Joe Scharle
06-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I use a 2X4 brace with the table all the way down.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-13-2009, 3:16 PM
I use a 2X4 brace with the table all the way down.

I would use two 2X4s--one on each corner. Should work well.

Richard Dooling
06-17-2009, 3:30 PM
Ron and Joe,

I think your right, I've been making this too complicated. I just need to decide on a standard height that I want the table and cut the 2 x 4s to fit.