PDA

View Full Version : Latest MS Update

Dick Parr
08-21-2004, 7:10 AM
Has anyone done the latest MS automatic update/downlaod? And have you had any problems after updating? I read somewhere that there was problems running even some MS programs and that you might not want to update. I have the little notice at the bottom of the screen saying the update it ready to download but am afraid to do it. :confused: :(

Any one having problems with it?

Thanks

Chuck Wintle
08-21-2004, 8:22 AM
I updated to XP Service Pack 2 with no problems. I did not use the automatic update though. I downloaded the entire service pack from microsoft and burned it to CD. The patch will only install the files needed.

Doug Jones
08-21-2004, 9:12 AM
I do not run XP, however I did recieve a notice from Yahoo SBC (my internet provider) about potential unstability.

Boyd Gathwright
08-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi Dick.

......There is an existing issue over processors. As I understand it, the AMD takes full advantage of the update; but it won’t be until the end of the year before the Intel processor will be able to utilize the full capacity of the update. <O:p</O:p

Boyd :)

Has anyone done the latest MS automatic update/downlaod? And have you had any problems after updating? I read somewhere that there was problems running even some MS programs and that you might not want to update. I have the little notice at the bottom of the screen saying the update it ready to download but am afraid to do it. :confused: :(

Any one having problems with it?

Thanks

Greg Tatum
08-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Hey Dick....I down loaded for XP Home last night and deleted it this morning....It prevented me from connecting to the net even after trying to repair....I turned off the new Win firewall since I use Zone Alarm....Win says that there may be a conflict when running 2 firewalls....didn't work for me....I use a laptop with wireless connection and was getting a message saying the connection was weak and/or not receiving....no problem after deleting SP2 and rebooting....as a bonus, I am now able to close that annoying ms messenger icon in the bottom tray which it wouldn't allow before.

Anyway...all seems good now.
Greg

Kevin Arceneaux
08-24-2004, 4:07 PM
SP2 has problems with Winsocks and firewalls. There are more than one DSL ISP that is telling their clients not to install SP2 until the Winsocks problem is resolved. If you are on cable, there seems to be no conflicts as a Winsock is not required.

If you are running a seperate firewall program, you can easily turn off the XP one. The changes on the XP Firewall were for those who either to lazy or ignorant of the XP firewall to turn it on. SP2 sets it on by default.

If you hold off on SP2, you can still download and install CX 9c. If you or anyone is a gamer, you will see significant increase in FPS with it. In the sim I play, I showed about a 8% increase in my framerates.

Chuck Wintle
08-24-2004, 5:32 PM
I wonder then how I escaped with no problems after installing SP2? After reading all the warnings/problems etc my computer worked perfectly post SP2.