PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with rusted/stuck screw

Dan Mages
06-12-2009, 8:53 AM
Good morning.

The lightbulb in our shower has gone out. Unfortunately, the recessed light cover has three screws that are pretty much rusted or by some other means permanently stuck in place. I have tried liquid wrench and WD-40, but so far no luck. Any thoughts on how I can get this darn thing open?

Thanks,

Dan

Rob Cunningham
06-12-2009, 9:15 AM
You could try some Kroil. It's one of the best things I've found for rusted screws etc.
http://www.kanolabs.com/

James Jaragosky
06-12-2009, 9:17 AM
Good morning.

The lightbulb in our shower has gone out. Unfortunately, the recessed light cover has three screws that are pretty much rusted or by some other means permanently stuck in place. I have tried liquid wrench and WD-40, but so far no luck. Any thoughts on how I can get this darn thing open?

Thanks,

Dan
This is the best stuff I have ever used for freeing up rusted stuff.
http://www.kanolabs.com/google/
Depending on the application sometimes it might take 2 or 3 days for the penetrating oil to penetrate all the way.
Also some times you just have to drill it out. Find a drill bit slightly larger than the head of the frozen screw or bolt, drill off the head of the frozen screw, remove the fixture. You should have a threaded stub left, at this point you should be able to grab that stub with vice grips. the vice grips should give you the leverage that you need to remove the frozen screws.
In the end you may have to just replace the fixture if the above suggestions do not work.

curtis rosche
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
drill them out with a bit

Lee Schierer
06-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Tap on the screw head with a center punch to help loosen it up, then grip the head with a pair of pliers. Once you get them out visit your local hardware store and pick up replacement screws. They are pretty cheap. When you install the new screws put a drop of oil or light smear of grease on the threads and they will come out easier next time.

Michael Poller
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Get those grab-it type screw removers. I have the Craftsman version.

I find if you use them as the instructions state, they work terrificaly for removing stripped, rusted or otherwise stuck screws you need to remove and/or replace.

Mat Ashton
06-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Best advice I can give is have lots of patience, some wd40, vise grips, easy outs, drill and tap - all in that order as well.

Anthony Scira
06-12-2009, 11:51 PM
3 rusted screws...........whats next? Sounds like you got a money pit on your hands.

I think it is time to just replace the house !