PDA

View Full Version : Compressor question

Bob Hallowell
06-12-2009, 8:31 AM
I am looking to get a bigger compressor for general shop use and to run a hvlp gun I currently just have a pancake. I can get a 60gallon 3hp campbell new for around $400 plus tax, I found an Ingersoll Rand 60 gallon 3hp used for $200. I was told it was in good shape and only a few years old but after he looked at the sticker last night it was made in 1990 so it's 19 years old. Sould I buy new or is the IR a good deal?

Thanks,
Bob

David Christopher
06-12-2009, 9:23 AM
Bob, air compressors have rings and valves similar to a gas engine and will wear out...I dont know the condition of the compressor that youre talking about ( and they do last a long time ) but I would consider getting a new one ( higher quality ) and you will be set probley forever

Quinn McCarthy
06-12-2009, 9:28 AM
Bob,

I just toasted my old compressor. Blew the pistons right out of it. I bought an ingersol rand 60 gallon 3hp. I just love it. It is nice and quiet and it recovers quick. I use dyna brade air sanders for all of my finish sanding and it doesn't have any trouble supplying air to then. They both use 14.4 cfm.

HTH

Quinn

Jason Hallowell
06-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Not sure what to suggest, but here's my experience- I bought a used Ingersoll Rand (3 hp 60 gal) about 9 or 10 years ago. While it wasn't used often, and the head was in perfect condition, it apparently hadn't been drained daily because the bottom of the tank rusted through a few months after I got it. I took it to a welder who put a big plate on the bottom and it's worked like a champ ever since.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-12-2009, 1:44 PM
I just started a post on this subject two days ago. :)

It appears that you are looking at the same class of air compressors as me: 3hp, 60 gallon, single stage.

All the compressors I've looked into in the 3hp range (shown below) put out about 11.5 cfm at 40 psi, and 10.2 cfm at 90 psi. If you need more flow, you must buy a compressor that is around 5hp. However, this means that you need a 30A 220V electrical circuit instead of a 20A 220V circuit.

Also, the price jump is significant for a 5hp single stage unit. They start at $800 and go to $1,200. Typcially they put out about 14 cfm and are available with either a 60 gallon or 80 gallon tank. They may also require the purchase of a magnetic switch at additional cost.

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/AirCompressor-2.jpg

Robert Reece
06-12-2009, 3:25 PM
I should chip here that I bought a 4hp 80gal 2 stage compressor with auto drain from castair (www.castair.net (http://www.castair.net)) a few months back. The thing is built like a tank and runs so quiet and smooth, I love it. I don't need the capacity that this unit has, but I did need the quiet in my basement shop. I can have a conversation standing next to this thing.
When I bought, the policy was to split the freight with you to wherever you are. That was just a little more than tax would have been for me.
The 4hp will keep on a 20A 240V circuit.
I have no affiliation with Castair, just a happy customer who thinks he got a fair deal.

Bob Hallowell
06-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I passed on that compressor, I will add on other 60 gallon to that list. it a CH for $399 at www.tractorsupply.com (http://www.tractorsupply.com)

Bob