PDA

View Full Version : A magazine I'd LIKE to see... but doesn't exist

Frank Trinkle
06-12-2009, 7:56 AM
I have subscriptions to a number of woodworking and DIY magazines, and other than workshop items, virtually all the plans, discussion, and tips in these magazines are for styles of Shaker, Colonial, Early American, or other antiquated designs.

What I'd REALLY like to see is a magazine that focuses exclusively on contemporary and modern furniture and other wood products. Frankly, I'm not a fan of olden designs, though they certainly have a following. I'd really like to see more concentration on modern styles (like Danish designs for example) that better reflect my family's tastes... and do it in a magazine that provides that exclusively, rather than the odd piece.

Roy Bennett
06-12-2009, 8:49 AM
I too would like something different in my magazine project selection. However, unlike the OP who wants 'modern' styling, I want Queen Anne and Empire!

I'm sick and tired of the 'Mission' and 'Arts and Crafts' simplistic designs which have dominated the Woodworking press the last several years.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-12-2009, 9:00 AM
I have let ALL my mags expire because I never see anything that I like in them anymore.

Prashun Patel
06-12-2009, 9:22 AM
I'd like to see more organic designs like Nakashima, Malouf, or Esherick.

But, come on, I'm not anywhere NEAR a skilled woodworker, and already I find it to be much like cooking: You follow a recipe or plan at the beginning to hone your skills. But once you get some confidence, you vary from the plans considerably, until you basically just look at finished pictures and then figure out how to do it your own way.

So, more than PLANS, I'd like to see more pictures. I really like the FWW online gallery. If that were better organized, and there were more pix from different perspectives, and details about the materials and finishing regimen, I'd be happy.

John Schreiber
06-12-2009, 9:36 AM
. . .So, more than PLANS, I'd like to see more pictures. . . .
Yes! I can figure out how most classic furniture is made - or I've got books with similar examples.

I'd like to see pictures and discussion of design - without getting all fru-fru. Actually, that's the problem with discussion of design for modern furniture. I learn more about the designer's childhood than I do about proportion and historical reference and practical usage of the piece.

There's also a place for discussion of creative problem solving in wood. That is a discussion of joinery methods rather than straight up plans.

Julian Nicks
06-12-2009, 9:48 AM
Magazines lack in quality info for me also, so I peruse three different woodworking forums to get what I want. There's more knowledge here than in most mags, and in forums I can generally get the help needed to research or build a piece.

Cory Hoehn
06-12-2009, 9:56 AM
I couldn't agree more! I love the clean lines and joinery of modern furniture. I wish they would mix it up a bit.

Jamie Cowan
06-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Antique and antiquated are really two different things. Antiquated generally means to be outdated, and designs such as Shaker are really considered timeless because of years of proven design simplicity and functionality. And broad popularity. I think if you were to really grill the editors of the magazines, you'd find several reasons why they do what they do. First off, they cater to a broader audience than you'd think. They have a lot of readers that don't actually make anything, but would like to one day. My uncle has tons of issues of FWW, but with a business and a family, he has very little free time to pursue woodworking. And I read a whole lot of magazines before I really got going. Shaker, mission and A&C offer lots of skill building opportunities that really apply to all styles of furniture. Also, a mag can give you plans for a lot of these styles because they aren't copyrighted or trademarked designs. Want to make an Eames chair? You're on your own. That design is owned by Herman Miller, and a magazine probably can't publish plans to make one. Sam Maloof may have passed on, but his legal rights to his rockers haven't.

I have noticed a ton of G&G furniture in the mags in the past year or so, and it really doesn't do anything for me. However, I don't mind learning about it. I might incorporate something from their style one day.

Do a google image search for Shaker furniture. You'll see things pop up that are clearly contemporary, but have a vague Shaker lineage. Thomas Moser's work comes to mind. Then search Shaker table or Shaker chair, and see what comes up. Lots of Shaker crossed with Asian design, etc. You can apply what you learn from traditional furniture design to just about anything. And the magazines always cover lots of techniques for dovetails, steam bending, veneering, yadda yadda yadda.

I recently joined the Guild of NH Woodworkers, and they have a magazine that seems to feature a broader range of styles than the big publications. Maybe there's a similar guild in your area.

That said, I'd like to see if a mag with a different design approach would find room to exist out there. Maybe.

Martin Shupe
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Well, you like Danish modern, but if you didn't already know it, Danish modern traces it lineage to Shaker. Another name for Danish modern could be modern Shaker. :eek:

I like Shaker, because I grew up in a house filled with Danish modern furniture.

Shaker is timeless, modern furniture is not always.

Dig up some old books of projects from the late 60's or 70's. You can find them in old woodworking textbooks, or old woodworking magazines. You will be amazed at how "dated" the furniture looks.

For me, I'll stick to Shaker, I've got enough Shaker projects to last me the rest of my life. Hopefully, my kids won't throw it out with the trash.

David Keller NC
06-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I have subscriptions to a number of woodworking and DIY magazines, and other than workshop items, virtually all the plans, discussion, and tips in these magazines are for styles of Shaker, Colonial, Early American, or other antiquated designs.

What I'd REALLY like to see is a magazine that focuses exclusively on contemporary and modern furniture and other wood products. Frankly, I'm not a fan of olden designs, though they certainly have a following. I'd really like to see more concentration on modern styles (like Danish designs for example) that better reflect my family's tastes... and do it in a magazine that provides that exclusively, rather than the odd piece.

Actually, there is such a magazine - Woodwork. It used to be published monthly, but the publisher decided to sell out and it's now published quarterly by the same folks that do American Woodworker. The mag definitely focused on "studio" or "modern" furniture and woodworking art objects. That wasn't to my taste, but I subscribed anyway because you would never find a tool review or a gratuitous "ultimate jig" article. One of the best parts about the mag is that every month there was an extensive article about a professional woodworker that's been successful at it.

There's no telling what the publishers of American Woodworker might do to it, but perhaps there's hope - American Woodworker devolved into a "throw away" newstand mag filled with tool tips, techniques, 80 billion shop-made router table designs, and the like. Perhaps the publishers recognized that they needed a higher-end mag to add to their stable and will leave it alone.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd like to see more contemporary and/or unique designs. There doesn't seem to be as much diversity in style anymore.

The Tauton Press (publisher of Fine Woodworking) published a series of magazine-type books 20 years ago that focused on modern furniture and art. I also have two other books that focus on contemporary design that included construction info. That's about it. Today, they are all out of production, but are still interesting to look at. :)

-Jeff :)

Paul Johnstone
06-12-2009, 3:13 PM
I think most magazines are targeted more towards the beginner.

I'd like to see some more "advanced" projects. Maybe not in every issue, but on occasion.

Often times, it seems like the same guy is designing every project. The bookcase looks just like the chest of drawers in the previous issue (same technique, sides constructed the same way, etc).

I'd also like some explanation on why they do certain things. Why did they make that side 17 3/8" wide, instead of 16"?

It would be interesting to see a project that required more than a tablesaw, drill press, and router. Even if I didn't have the tools, it would be interesting to read about.

Bruce Gray
06-12-2009, 3:31 PM
Actually, there is such a magazine - Woodwork. It used to be published monthly, but the publisher decided to sell out and it's now published quarterly by the same folks that do American Woodworker. The mag definitely focused on "studio" or "modern" furniture and woodworking art objects. That wasn't to my taste, but I subscribed anyway because you would never find a tool review or a gratuitous "ultimate jig" article. One of the best parts about the mag is that every month there was an extensive article about a professional woodworker that's been successful at it.

There's no telling what the publishers of American Woodworker might do to it, but perhaps there's hope - American Woodworker devolved into a "throw away" newstand mag filled with tool tips, techniques, 80 billion shop-made router table designs, and the like. Perhaps the publishers recognized that they needed a higher-end mag to add to their stable and will leave it alone.

I received a letter last week from New Track Media, telling me that Woodwork had been discontinued and that they will substitute American Woodworker for the remaining issues of my Woodwork subscription. That's some offer: providing one of the worst woodworking magazines in lieu of the best !

Bruce

Kyle Iwamoto
06-12-2009, 6:53 PM
Buy a dedicated book on what designs you like?

IMO magazines are paid for by ads. The people who put the ads in are influential towards what articles are in there. So the "writers" cater towards whats "popular". I'd say that using a mag for getting designs are hit or miss, most times missing what you may personally like. And even then, only 1 article will be written. Next month will be something different. And most likely something you don't like, if you're looking for a particular style. I'm not saying mags are junk, I'm just saying if you like a particular style, try Amazon and look for a book "antiquated Shaker style cabinets". There may be one!

Bill Houghton
06-12-2009, 6:58 PM
So, more than PLANS, I'd like to see more pictures.

Taunton Press, to its credit, tried a magazine some years back, called "Home Furniture," that was exclusively pictures of furniture with short discussions by the makers of their design ideas, how they got there - it varied, but the focus was always design, NOT construction.

Lasted about two years. I don't know why Taunton dropped it, but my strong impression at the time was that they weren't reaching the break-even point of subscribers.

I'd rather see that magazine than the current FWW, which I finished reading the other day in about two or two and a half hours, waiting for my son at a medical appointment.

Chris Kennedy
06-12-2009, 8:06 PM
What I would like in a magazine:

1. Projects across a variety of design aesthetics.

I have my personal preferences, but when I am designing something myself, I want to know how to incorporate what I want. I generally like clean lines without a lot of elaboration, but I like to throw in some more complicated details. But I want to know how to make it all, or more to the point, know that I have a magazine where I can look it up.

2. Description of how to make things with something less than a fully equipped, tricked out, shop that is the bastard child of Norm Abrams and Roy Underhill having every specialized power and hand tool in existence.

I am a hobbyist, and I assume the magazine market consists mostly of hobbyists. I may not have that $100 router bit or a plow plane or even
a bandsaw. A little explanation of how I might compensate for a lack of equipment would be great.

3. Good, detailed, and accurate plans.

'Nuff said.

4. Explanation as to why.

This was mentioned earlier, and I think as someone who is learning, this is imperative. Why was something done a particular way instead of another? Even if there was no particular reason, it would be nice to know that.

5. Practical projects.

How many blanket chests, highboys, and bookcases can I make? Seriously -- I can make one or two, but I have a small house. I would like designs for (a) a docking station for phones, iPods, laptops, etc. (b) a filing cabinet for bills (c) a hutch to hold bills -- the list goes on.

I have tried to cobble together my wish list from a couple of magazines, but I haven't managed to get what I want yet.

So -- what do people think about the idea of a Sawmill Creek Magazine?

Cheers,

Chris

Jim Butterfield
06-12-2009, 8:43 PM
Frank, my thoughts exactly. I'm looking for creative ideas, not yet another shaker piece, or, as someone said, the "ultimate" this and "ultimate" that. The section out of all the magazines I look most forward to is the readers' gallery in FW.

Jamie Cowan
06-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Buy a dedicated book on what designs you like?

IMO magazines are paid for by ads. The people who put the ads in are influential towards what articles are in there. So the "writers" cater towards whats "popular". I'd say that using a mag for getting designs are hit or miss, most times missing what you may personally like. And even then, only 1 article will be written. Next month will be something different. And most likely something you don't like, if you're looking for a particular style. I'm not saying mags are junk, I'm just saying if you like a particular style, try Amazon and look for a book "antiquated Shaker style cabinets". There may be one!
That is true. Ads pay for the magazine. Subscriptions, not so much. In fact, lots of magazines send free subscriptions to doctors' offices and other places with waiting rooms in order to increase circulation. Circulation is often an artificial number that is used to boost advertising rates, because advertising is where the money is. I was managing editor for a regional lifestyle magazine geared toward upper-middle class women with too much disposable income. Worst job of my life. Constant pressure to appeal to the advertisers, at the expense of the readers.

Bruce Wrenn
06-12-2009, 11:38 PM
And right now, ad revenue is down, way down. Many magazines are on life support just to survive. As an example, Wood was giving away four free issues to ge you to just try the magazine. Of course there was the follow up subscription request. Pick any of your magazines (Woodsmith, and ShopNotes being excepted, as they don't accept advertising), and look at a issue from a couple of years ago. Then look at this years issue (same month), and notice the difference. Hopefully all will be able to survive the current downturn. Their costs have gone up, but revenue has fallen. That's not a business model for success. Ask GM.

sean m. titmas
06-13-2009, 12:07 AM
there are lots of good ideas about magazine themes listed here and i even have a few of my own to add however the problem with print magazines is that they need advertisers with lots of cash to help pay for the print. once the mag goes mainstream the topic panders to the lowest common denominator. unfortunately none of us are interested in another "how to", "DIYer" rag with weekend projects for the beginner.

the solution is to start a web based magazine like ThisIsCarpentry (http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/imag/issue1/pageflip.htm).
with no investors to answer to there is room to explore very specific topics and themes.

it could be one main magazine with 5 or 6 different articles that covers a specific type of woodworking style each month.

Larry Edgerton
06-13-2009, 7:24 AM
Check out "Dwell" magazine.........

Billy Chambless
06-13-2009, 9:00 AM
2. Description of how to make things with something less than a fully equipped, tricked out, shop that is the bastard child of Norm Abrams and Roy Underhill having every specialized power and hand tool in existence.

I am a hobbyist, and I assume the magazine market consists mostly of hobbyists. I may not have that $100 router bit or a plow plane or even
a bandsaw. A little explanation of how I might compensate for a lack of equipment would be great.

4. Explanation as to why.

This was mentioned earlier, and I think as someone who is learning, this is imperative. Why was something done a particular way instead of another? Even if there was no particular reason, it would be nice to know that.

I would love to see #2, but it might make the advertisers grumpy. I'm 100% with you on #4.

Personally, I don't care so much about projects per se, but I'd like to see more on various aspects of design and technique.

David Keller NC
06-13-2009, 10:38 AM
"I received a letter last week from New Track Media, telling me that Woodwork had been discontinued and that they will substitute American Woodworker for the remaining issues of my Woodwork subscription. That's some offer: providing one of the worst woodworking magazines in lieu of the best !"

That's indeed unfortunate. I bought the first quarter of this year's issue where they noted that they would continue to publish the mag as it had always existed. I guess the 3 months that lasted was too much for the accountants at NTM.

harry strasil
06-13-2009, 10:53 AM
I guess I am the OddBall, I never use plans, its someone elses work, I prefer to just start on a project and let it evolve, but being a fan of the Shaker style and more of a neander I try hard most of the time to not use metal fasteners unless there is no other alternative. And my passion even in blacksmithing is making tools, so I have a lot of shopmade tools. I don"t watch Normy, but did enjoy Roy and his frequent mistakes.LOL

I especially enjoyed Roy's visit to the Upper Canada Workshop, where he demonstrated the Scissors Mortiser with the cut going opposite of the way it was intended. In fact, I made a benchtop model of the scissors mortiser for my demo set of tools.

Billy Chambless
06-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I guess I am the OddBall, I never use plans, its someone elses work, I prefer to just start on a project and let it evolve, but being a fan of the Shaker style and more of a neander I try hard most of the time to not use metal fasteners unless there is no other alternative.

You're not alone -- you just described how I go about it, too. (Notice that I edited all that blacksmithing stuff out, though -- that looks too much like hard work!)

Mike Parzych
06-13-2009, 1:20 PM
I'm not a fan of really ornate pieces - I call it "Victorian brothel" furniture. But many people like it, and their opinion is as valid as mine.

Yeah - I'd like more modern design stuff, and maybe an in depth discussion of the art of design. What the ideas behind shape, color, and the intangible "feel" of design. I think that's what really sets apart the artist.

Plus, when you're building to earn a living, you can rarely get a fair price for all the hours that go into the more detailed stuff.

Gary Curtis
06-13-2009, 1:52 PM
Two English magazines do just what you want. One is called "Furniture". They are woodworking magazines, and to describe how thoughtful they are, every so often run serialized detail primer courses in woodworking fundamentals.

Even showing starting with such techniques as cutting a "knife wall". A scribed line which limits the cutting action of a chisel or plane.

The two magazines are carried monthly at a news rack here in Los Angeles. A bit of an upscale neighborhood not far from UCLA. But somebody is buying and reading these things. Perhaps do a Google search for UK/Woodworking/furniture and see if you can get a publisher or distributor.

Be warned that English taste in furniture leans heavily towards heavy, dark furniture with claw feet. But modern designs are often shown.

Gary Curtis
Northern California

James White
06-13-2009, 9:42 PM
I had trouble finding this so I thought I would share the link.

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Furniture-and-Cabinet-Making--1010FC.html

As it turns out I have one of there books that I picked up at a B&N bookstore.

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Making-Furniture--GM-16387.html

By the way I am not a fan of contemporary. I like timeless, simple and functional. Shaker a bit too plain, Arts and crafts seems about rite and Greene and Greene getting carried away.

James

Paul Johnstone
06-15-2009, 2:53 PM

I am pretty sure it is Wood magazine.. but one magazines has a "back to basics" project every month. Usually you can build it with just a circular saw, router, and a few other really basic things.

In all honesty, I think 80% of projects in the magazines can be built with a tablesaw, jig saw, planer, jointer, biscuit jointer, router table. If you have a drill press, it probably goes up to 95%. A lot of projects go out of their way to use screws where brads would be fine. I think they are trying to accomodate the beginner as much as possible.

In other words, I don't see many projects requiring a veneer press, bandsaw (a jig saw will work just fine for curve cutting), or other really advanced stuff. I suppose there are some mortise and tenon projects, but you could make a router jig for most of them.