PDA

View Full Version : My first "green" bowl

Jack Tyree
06-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks again to everyone here for the advice on treating my green wood. As usual though, I didn't use it. Well, I didn't, sort of. The advice was to use Anchorseal, but this wood had already started to dry out and check beyond any Anchorseal help, I felt. I did get it out of the sun and cut up into blanks as soon as time permitted though and managed to salvage most of what was usable, that is the stuff that was not punky. I had to cut around quite a lot. The best tip was found here though, and that was a post by Bernie about DNA soaking. I found his link to the article, and what a hot, hot tip. It worked beautifully. And I don't see how anything could be any easier or cheaper. Thanks again Bernie. Your post saved the day!
This is also the biggest bowl I have ever turned. It came out about 11.5 inches by 6 or so high. Tell me what you think...

Don Eddard
06-12-2009, 2:53 AM
I think you did a fine job, and the wood looks great, too. Punky wood can be a real chore, but the extra work can pay off, too.

alex carey
06-12-2009, 5:43 AM
Nice looking bowl, lots of spalting, nice piece of curl to. great job.

Rich Stewart
06-12-2009, 8:18 AM
Can green wood be spaulted? Nice looking bowl.

Rob Cunningham
06-12-2009, 9:08 AM
Nice looking bowl. Good form and figure.

David Christopher
06-12-2009, 9:17 AM
Jack, that looks really good, and a beautiful piece of wood

Bill Bolen
06-12-2009, 3:36 PM
A fine looking piece. Spalted wood....love to work with it!...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2009, 6:40 PM
Great looking bowl Jack. Pretty wood. Your welcome. I can honestly say I have not lost a bowl using the DNA method. Glad it worked for you.

Jarrod McGehee
06-13-2009, 3:48 PM
that looks really nice and I love the spalting