PDA

View Full Version : Wire brush or Sander?

Peter Pedisich
06-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi, I have to refinish my round outdoor table, and I'm not sure how to approach it.
Should I just wire brush this, and then paint it with Rustoleum?
...or should I sand it down to bare metal with 80 grit?

Any suggestions and help is much appreciated!

-pete

p.s. - yes, I know I let it get too far, my wife has already reminded me.

Matt Meiser
06-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I'd use a wire wheel in an angle grinder myself. You could use one in a drill. Rust-O-Leum is going harden very slowly and is going to fade and chalk over a few years, just so you know. You can speed up the hardening using a hardener intended for oil-based tractor paint from Tractor Supply Co. I've been using Do-It-Best brand rust paint which actually seems to be a little more durable.

Greg Crawford
06-11-2009, 11:04 PM
This stuff works well;

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/body_interior_trim/auto_Permatex_Rust_Treatment.htm

I was told the brush on is best, so that's what I used. It turns the rust into a hard black coating. Supposedly it will follow any "trails" to a degree, as well. After it's cured, just paint over it. I got mine at an auto parts store.

David G Baker
06-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Peter,
Your table looks like it is vinyl coated rather than paint. If that is true, you are going to have to take all the vinyl off and that can be a lot of labor. I would do as Matt M wrote.
I had a table similar to yours when I lived in California, the coating was a problem but the metal table was indestructible. My ex covered it with a vinyl table cloth and it was presentable.