PDA

View Full Version : Wood wood and more wood!

Jeff Nicol
06-11-2009, 6:51 PM
Well today we hauled half of the free red pine logs I got from my buddy who owns a tree service. He had 15 trees to cut down and got 13 done today. So here are 2 loads of 12 and 13 logs and the one pic shows the pile in the back ground. Mark is up the tree in the last pic as he had to climb each one and because he could not get the boom truck into the yard where the trees were. He is about 5'4" and weighs in about 140lbs, but he can sure work!!! Red pine is fun to turn after some of the water is out of it because you can get a real good shower while turning it. The contrast between the early and late wood is nice and it smells wonderful! It is quite a bit harder than the white pine I turn so finishes a bit easier. Most of it will be turned into the dreaded "FLAT" stuff for construction of hunting shacks and whatever else, like blanket chests, beds, dressers, shelfs and on and on! I am worn out and god bless the "Woodennicol Log Hauler"!!

Jeff

curtis rosche
06-11-2009, 7:10 PM
there were probably quite a few people out there who were trying to figure out why there were logs on a coffin trailer. nice haul of wood. is he actually cutting in the last picture?

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2009, 7:42 PM
Thats a great haul Jeff. Ought to keep ya busy a day or two anyway.:D

Jeff Nicol
06-11-2009, 8:31 PM
there were probably quite a few people out there who were trying to figure out why there were logs on a coffin trailer. nice haul of wood. is he actually cutting in the last picture?
Yes he is cutting off the limbs and topping off the tree. His ground crew pulls the branches the correct direction with a rope so nothing gets hurt. He has a little chain saw on a strap that hangs down while he climbs. He is part chimp I think!

Jeff

Mike Svoma
06-11-2009, 9:04 PM
Nice haul Jeff. When are we going to start cutting this load?

Thomas Canfield
06-11-2009, 9:50 PM
Jeff,

Looks like a good haul. The trailer must be a big help.

I suggest you turn a hollow form out of a section using your steady rest for support. If it turns better than the yellow pine down here, you should have a nice vase or whatever when you turn fairly thin (about 1/8" or so) and use an oil finish. I still haven't finished the yellow pine piece I showed on the picture I sent with the tool rest, but it is looking fairly good with only 3 coats so far.

David Hostetler
06-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Since this is the turning forum, I for some reason am thinking the OP has a HUGE lathe with distance between centers measurements in tens of feet.... Just think of the spindles you could do with those....

Jeff Nicol
06-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Since this is the turning forum, I for some reason am thinking the OP has a HUGE lathe with distance between centers measurements in tens of feet.... Just think of the spindles you could do with those....
Dave, I have been kicking around making a big, or should I say massive spindle lathe to do just that! I might use the PTO on the tractor to run it, I have a rear end out of a 1 ton truck that may work for the spindle!!! I think I am going crazy!!!

Mike, Some time soon, because I have 4 red oak and a couple of white oak in the 30" dia range to get too! We may have to have some adult beverages for the after sawing sitting around the fire pit this time!

Jeff

Mark Norman
06-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I know where you could get plans for a reeeeal long spindle lathe.. got a few bags of concrete handy?

Nice haul!!:D

Mike Svoma
06-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Beverages.....many beverages.

alex carey
06-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Wow, you certainly lucked out...again. Nice gloat for sure.

Bill Wyko
06-12-2009, 4:48 PM
Wood....is good! Nice haul.:D

Jeff Nicol
06-13-2009, 7:08 AM
I know where you could get plans for a reeeeal long spindle lathe.. got a few bags of concrete handy?

Nice haul!!:D
Mark, I really like playing in the mud! So maybe some concrete would be in the construction! If only I could win the lottery so I could bring you and some of the other lathe masterminds to a conference for design and engineering! Have a great day and I am going to clean the shop today as I may have a very special SMC visitor tonight! Must keep it a secret till I have pictures to post!

Jeff

Jarrod McGehee
06-13-2009, 3:57 PM
I'm guessing it's our favorite person in the world, Steve. You come in a close 2nd Jeff. and all you other SMC guys too. It's family here

Jeff Nicol
06-13-2009, 4:56 PM
I'm guessing it's our favorite person in the world, Steve. You come in a close 2nd Jeff. and all you other SMC guys too. It's family here
It never happened untill I post pictures! Time is slowly ticking by! Should be fun and that is what we all should have, FUN!!!!

JEff

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 7:44 PM
What a haul what a haul Jeff!! Man you have so much wood you are going to be one busy man!! Im going to pick your brain again on that log hauler, seems to be the perfect thing!!