PDA

View Full Version : hanging shutters on brick

Kerry Adams
06-11-2009, 3:55 PM
Good Afternoon,

I need to hang three 75 inch wooden shutters on brick. Would appreciate expertise from those that have been there.

Thanks,
Kerry

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-11-2009, 5:07 PM
I'm a fan of not drilling into the brick.
You can always replace the mortar if that decomposes, Replacing a brick because the idiot Cable installer drilled it and water got in and froze eventually splitting the brick is not my idea of fun.

James Jaragosky
06-11-2009, 6:12 PM
I'm a fan of not drilling into the brick.
You can always replace the mortar if that decomposes, Replacing a brick because the idiot Cable installer drilled it and water got in and froze eventually splitting the brick is not my idea of fun.
Tapcons can be used for both motor or brick applications.
Jim J.

Julian Nicks
06-11-2009, 7:52 PM
Tapcons are the way to go. I have installed many sets of wood shutters using a cordless hammerdrill, and tapcons in brick or in the mortar joints.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-12-2009, 4:07 PM
Tapcons can be used for both motor or brick applications.
Jim J.

Oh yah. However, once you put a hole in a brick - - - there's a hole for ever. Unless of course the brick ends up breaking then it's worse.
Mortar you can fix up or plug with more mortar lickedy split.

Nate Carey
06-12-2009, 4:13 PM
Cliff, you're absolutely right...always, always, always into the mortar...never into the brick!

Johnny Pearce
06-13-2009, 6:08 PM
Most important is a really good paint job on both sides. I have seen many pine or similar wood shutters fall apart in 3-5 years because builder's painter did not properly paint back side. Drill in mortar joints because 90% of the time it is easier than drilling in the brick.