PDA

View Full Version : PEX Tubing

Sean Troy
06-11-2009, 12:35 PM
In regards to my on going bathroom remodel, it would appear Pex is an allright way to go. Does anyone have any experience or hints on the best way for coupling the tube? Gator Bites look pretty interesting. Thanks, Sean

Johnny Pearce
06-11-2009, 12:45 PM
I used Shark Bites on my recent remodel and have had no problems in 2 years since installing. My oldest son is a plumber and reccomended them to me. A little pricey but less than getting a plumber and very easy to install. sharkbitesplumbing.com For information. Works with existing copper pipes.

Chris Padilla
06-11-2009, 1:14 PM
Going cheap on plumbing you have no easy access to: not a good idea! :D

Post some pics of your PEX adventures, Sean, if you don't mind. :) I've never used it or handled it but I am curious.... "Wiring" it up like an electrical breaker box (manifold) is the way to handle water wiring in a home, IMO.

Greg Peterson
06-11-2009, 4:01 PM
Sounds like to many moving parts to me. I used Wirsbo PEX with compression fittings (not clamps). Fittings are inexpensive and you can probably rent the expansion tool locally.

Jay Jolliffe
06-11-2009, 4:27 PM
I did all my domestic & radiant heat with Wirsbo & used the Wirsbo fittings worked great with no problem. I did buy the expander but you probably could rent on someplace.

Sean Troy
06-11-2009, 7:59 PM
My install will be quite simple really. All I'll be doing is cutting and capping the hot and cold supply lines tommorrow while I remove the wall with valves and shower head and also take out the lines to the vanity. I'll replace all with pex plus new valves. I'll have to move the shower drain about 1.75 inches farther from the wall for the new shower. The funest part ( and I say that with a lot of sarcasim) will be removing the showers concrete floor base and tile. Shower pipe and valves will be moved to the closest wall left as the existing wall is being removed.

C Scott McDonald
06-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Kohler make shower valves with various types of pex fittings all ready attached. I would imagine that others do as well. Wirsbo/Uponor seem to be the most popluar lately due to no rings to squish.

Sean Troy
06-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Kohler make shower valves with various types of pex fittings all ready attached. I would imagine that others do as well. Wirsbo/Uponor seem to be the most popluar lately due to no rings to squish.
I didn't know that. thanks for the info.

Chris Weishaar
06-12-2009, 9:26 AM
Sean,

I did all of mine with clamps, not compression. I did buy the special clamp tool, but it wasn't too expensive. I wanted to have the tool on hand to fix any problems down the road. The clamps are quick and easy to use and they can be removed if need be. One advantage over the expansion/compression fitting is that you can turn the water on immediately after completion. My brother used compression and found that if he didn't give the pipe a few hours to contract before turning on the water then it would leak.

Either way it is much faster and easier than sweating pipes!

Walt Nicholson
06-12-2009, 10:08 AM
You might look at the PEX-AL. It has an section of aluminum in the construction. PEX says it is ok for air up to 200 psi (they don't recommend their other products for air) so I used it for air lines in my shop. The real plus to it is that it uses ferrells and screw together couplings (very nice brass with double o-rings) and goes together with a couple of large crescent wrenches, no special tools, clamps, etc. It stays in the shape you bend which is handy and is easy to cut. I bought 300 feet for $180 from a supply house that highly recommended it. Just another idea.

Greg Peterson
06-12-2009, 2:32 PM
Walt - PEXs' achilles heel is sunlight. It breaks down the material.

Prashun Patel
06-12-2009, 3:01 PM
I wouldn't use clamps behind a closed wall. I doubt (but am happy to be proven wrong) that it's permitted by code.

I vote for the Sharkbites. You can use those to cap yr existing lines too.