PDA

View Full Version : air compressor

Mike Stanton
08-20-2004, 10:34 PM
My 5 hp motor burned up the other day for my compressor and it is over 10 years old so I am getting a 7hp 60 gallon at home depot and I want to tie them toghter. How big of a pipe do I need? Mike

Dennis Peacock
08-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Warning Mike!!!! You flipped my trigger on this one.!!! :eek: :p

If you are going to get a Huskey from HD....don't bother. There is a 2 year old problem with the pressure switch leaking and it can't be fixed without replacing the entire switch and hoses. Spend that same money and go to the local Tractor Supply Center and get you a GOOD Compressor that will be quieter, more effecient and will last a LOT longer that the one you are talking about getting. I'm talking about an Ingersoll-Rand......Well worth the money.

If you'll search the threads here, you'll see what I went through on mine before taking it back, getting my money back and getting a much better quality compressor for basically the same money.

Just my 2¢ worth on this....

Dennis Peacock
08-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Here's the thread if you care to read it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6470

Ken Garlock
08-21-2004, 12:34 PM
IMO Mike, there are two types of air compressors: Ingersoll Rand, and others. What HD advertises as a 7hp will more likely come in at about 4hp. Take a look at the name plate on the motor, one I looked at listed the amperage used as xx PEAK. (I don't recall the actual numbers, but the peak stuck in my mind.)

Northern Tool has a good selection of IR compressors. I bought my 5hp, two stage, from them and the price included FREE shipping from the plant.

Buy quality, and spend your money once. :)

Gary Max
08-21-2004, 1:09 PM
I will go along with buying IR. I got a T-30 5 Hp 2 stage on a 80 gal. tank that is a real work horse. I run alot of air tools in my shop because they seem to last forever

Pat Salter
08-21-2004, 10:28 PM
WOW, good timing. I just got done writing up an order for one of those suckers at work but I haven't turned it in. I guess first thing monday morning I'll be changing that order!
Thanks for the heads up. I wish I had thought to ask here first though. ;)

Steve Jenkins
08-22-2004, 9:33 AM
Mike whichever compressor you decide to go with don't hook the tanks together with pipe. you should use a flexible connection between tanks and between the tank and the piping of your air system. You need this to isolate the vibration of the compressor. I use a 3/4" hose between my tanks and to the copper piping. Steve

Ken Garlock
08-22-2004, 1:37 PM
Mike whichever compressor you decide to go with don't hook the tanks together with pipe. you should use a flexible connection between tanks and between the tank and the piping of your air system. You need this to isolate the vibration of the compressor. I use a 3/4" hose between my tanks and to the copper piping. Steve

Good point, Steve. When I set up my compressor, I bought a teflon hose with an external steel braid from McMaster & Carr. They have a good selection of sizes and lengths. My flex hose connects the tank outlet to the regulars on the the wall, and has female connectors on each end.