PDA

View Full Version : JJP-12 (jet jointer/planer) Base Dimensions?

Jamie Smith
06-11-2009, 8:22 AM
Does anyone here have the base dimensions of the 12" jet jointer/planer JJP-12?

I haven't found them online.

I am planning on ordering one of these in a couple of weeks, and would like to have the mobile base here when it arrives.

What I would like to know are the width of the base, the depth of the base (like, to the front of the front curve), and the length of the side (corner to corner).

and, a question about it-- is the curved face only in the front, or is the back curved too, I don't remember.

Thanks!

Also- if you have yours on a mobile base, do you remember which one?

-jamie

Barry Vabeach
06-11-2009, 8:42 AM
Jamie, not sure I understood the questions, but side to side is 21 1/2," front to back at the sides is 18 1/2. It is curved only in the front and I would guess that adds another inch ( can't get a tape under there) so if you were getting a rectangular base I would guess you would want 22 inches by 20 inches . I used a Jet Universal HD mobile base and it fit fine. I think it had a little bit of sag in it, but not much.

Jamie Smith
06-11-2009, 8:57 AM
Jamie, not sure I understood the questions, but side to side is 21 1/2," front to back at the sides is 18 1/2. It is curved only in the front and I would guess that adds another inch ( can't get a tape under there) so if you were getting a rectangular base I would guess you would want 22 inches by 20 inches . I used a Jet Universal HD mobile base and it fit fine. I think it had a little bit of sag in it, but not much.

For not understanding, you answered exactly what I needed ;)

Thanks!.

I was hoping to avoid the adjustable base. HTC has several welded ones that I am looking at, and I would prefer that if I can.

Barry Vabeach
06-11-2009, 6:16 PM
Jamie, I just took mine off the base because I didn't move it very much. What I plan to do, but haven't got around to, is mount two wheels on one side, and a eyebolt ( and some extension of the feet) on the other side. That way when I have to move it, I can use a lever - hook on wheels to lift up the one side, and roll it around and then when I am done it will rest securely. I suggest you consider something similar unless you need to move it pretty regularly - it is a heavy piece of machinery but it is pretty compact, once it is on a mobile base you may get more movement of it than you want. It probably won't impact the end result that much, but it seems like a lot of money to go into a mobile base.

Jamie Smith
06-11-2009, 8:38 PM
Jamie, I just took mine off the base because I didn't move it very much. What I plan to do, but haven't got around to, is mount two wheels on one side, and a eyebolt ( and some extension of the feet) on the other side. That way when I have to move it, I can use a lever - hook on wheels to lift up the one side, and roll it around and then when I am done it will rest securely. I suggest you consider something similar unless you need to move it pretty regularly - it is a heavy piece of machinery but it is pretty compact, once it is on a mobile base you may get more movement of it than you want. It probably won't impact the end result that much, but it seems like a lot of money to go into a mobile base.

What you are describing sounds kind of like how the hammer does it.

I wish that more manufacturers had the built-in style of mobile base that the steel city tools have...

Curt Harms
06-12-2009, 1:29 PM
The simple method is to attach heavy duty casters directly to the machine. I move mine frequently, sometimes several times a day. The concern with me was pushing on the tables to move it. Pushing on the tables didn't seem like a good idea and couldn't see an alternative to some sort of handle. It'd be useful to be able to pivot the machine in its own length but I couldn't come up with a way to do that. I'm happy with my solution.